Invasion!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That was me as a small child, only it was a wasp's nest... I chucked stones at the nice black and yellow insects and poked them with sticks until they decided that it wasn't funny any more. Multiple stings later I had a fear of wasps that lasted me over 20 years!

Which reminds me... I saw a wasp this year. ONE wasp. ONCE! I used to plagued by the damn things every summer. There have been big changes over the past 40 years in this country. How much is due to use of pesticides and how much due to climate change, I don't know, but the changes are not subtle...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Do not kill them! I saw a tin of 'Ant Killer' in a shop the other day!:ohmy::eek: Why kill creatures that are super clean,very intelligent and wish us no harm?! Just put some damp sugar down to attract them and continue the method to take them further away from your home etc.🧐

"Don't tread on an ant he's done nothing to you
There might come a day when he's treading on you
Don't tread on an ant you'll end up black and blue
You cut off his head, legs come looking for you"

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That was me as a small child, only it was a wasp's nest... I chucked stones at the nice black and yellow insects and poked them with sticks until they decided that it wasn't funny any more. Multiple stings later I had a fear of wasps that lasted me over 20 years!

Which reminds me... I saw a wasp this year. ONE wasp. ONCE! I used to plagued by the damn things every summer. There have been big changes over the past 40 years in this country. How much is due to use of pesticides and how much due to climate change, I don't know, but the changes are not subtle...
As a kid I used to clap my hands on wasps to kill them

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

Alarm bells are already been rung by scientists for a few years about the drop in pollinating insects. In Southern Germany, a long term study revealed a 60% drop in these insects.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My sister currently has a bad ant problem in her house.
Repeated attempts to stop them in her very large lounge/kitchen/diner just moved them around. Environmental Health eventually came out, which has resulted in them now appearing upstairs.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Repeated attempts to stop them in her very large lounge/kitchen/diner just moved them around. Environmental Health eventually came out, which has resulted in them now appearing upstairs.
How do you tell a bad ant from a good one?
Does it walk around with attitude?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Isn't it strange how our attitude change as we get older. As a child, I didn't think twice about killing insects , rodents etc.... but now, I have the upmost respect for all animals and wouldn't harm any of them. They share this planet with us, have a right to be here and contribute in their own right to the well being of planet earth. Let nature rule our little world, not us.

Dave7

Legendary Member
What :eek: She now has the environmental health people upstairs.... I would sue them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Many years ago out for a walk with my then girl friend and later wife we sat down on a grassy mound. She began wriggling around a bit and then leapt up. Ants in her pants, literally. An interesting time was had removing them.:blush:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My wife puts her hand out to let bees or wasps land on her then she strokes them. We once had a hive in the upstairs room of our shop and the landlord called a local beekeeper to get rid of it. Mrs S saw him suiting up and getting the chemicals out so she walked into the room without protection and opened a window to let the bees out. Not one sting. The beekeeper said there were about 50,000 bees and he'd never seen anything like it.

Another time in the shop she befriended a wasp. It would sit on the back of her hand or on her shoulder then fly around when someone came in before returning when the customers had gone. I pointed out that this wasn't particularly good for business.

Isn't it strange how our attitude change as we get older. As a child, I didn't think twice about killing insects , rodents etc.... but now, I have the upmost respect for all animals and wouldn't harm any of them. They share this planet with us, have a right to be here and contribute in their own right to the well being of planet earth. Let nature rule our little world, not us.
Agreed. But still ambivalent about wasps...

Top Bottom