iPad iMac MacBook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LWeleven

As you all right now staring at a screen I fig. This fell into general chit chat
other than the obvious
what’s the difference between iMac and MacBook …any ?
I have a iphone and iPad but my laptop is just a windows , I kinda did it this way as I was familiar with Windows lap tops and software and I use it for my Photos and editing and normal computer stuff,
BUT I’ve seen a few cheap I macs about which got me thinking…………if any of you are using a IMac are these cheap ones worth buying
200-300 quid . Or a MacBook 300-400 …..I’m a bit frustrated with Apple and IPads as within a few years the APPS stop working ….but they have there place .

just curious on your thoughts ….TIA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
An iMac is a desktop computer, MacBook a laptop

Cheap ones are obsolete and may not work too well given how Apple bin stuff quickly.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My ipad must be about 10 years old and still functions as I want it apart from not accepting airdrops. There is a fix for this but never got round to it. The photo file and icloud drive me mad tho'. I have been deleting unwanted pictures and then they pop up again from somewhere and seem to multiply.
My mac book is only 4 years old so not yet obsolete but again I am not quite up to sorting the reason for not being able to post pictures direct from the photo file. Otherwise ok.

gizmo1994

We use 2 MacBooks regularly. One is a 2006 model, the other one is 2007. Both still work well with good battery life left them. I have updated my main machine to a 2017 MacBook but the old ones still work fine. I expect a good 10 years out of a MacBook

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Apple support lasts for seven years after a product goes off (not on) sale. Even then, just as with every other piece of tech, if it continues to work and you're happy with it, just carry on…typing this on a 2009 MacBook. Still going strong (sort of). Main desktop is a 2010 Mac Pro, running macOS Mojave (last security updates this year), and can run newer system versions with workarounds. Still got my 2006 Mac Pro as well.

Buck

Guru
I too have bought into the Apple eco system. (iphone / iPad / iMac)

My iMac is a 2013 model but bought in 2012 and is a superb bit of kit. It will not upgrade to the latest OS but is running very well on Catalina and I have had zero issues with it in the time I’ve had it.

I bought the iMac predominantly for my photography work and it is running the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom with no issues so I don’t imagine it going obsolete any time soon.

if you do buy a used iMac then build in some longevity and buy one that is a 2015 or later model and make sure the hard drive is big enough for your needs as they are not user replaceable. (Mine is a 1TB Hybrid and is fine although I do put all my photos on a Diskstation NAS)

There are some good bargains to be had although some will think their iMac is still worth what they paid for it 5 years ago so you may need to shop around!

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

I too have bought into the Apple eco system. (iphone / iPad / iMac)

My iMac is a 2013 model but bought in 2012 and is a superb bit of kit. It will not upgrade to the latest OS but is running very well on Catalina and I have had zero issues with it in the time I’ve had it.

I bought the iMac predominantly for my photography work and it is running the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom with no issues so I don’t imagine it going obsolete any time soon.

if you do buy a used iMac then build in some longevity and buy one that is a 2015 or later model and make sure the hard drive is big enough for your needs as they are not user replaceable. (Mine is a 1TB Hybrid and is fine although I do put all my photos on a Diskstation NAS)

There are some good bargains to be had although some will think their iMac is still worth what they paid for it 5 years ago so you may need to shop around!
thanks for that , apparently Pre 2012 are fully upgradable that kinda where im at , same i think with the Mini version the later are not upgradable . so ill hunt for a upgradable one i think , i do use Photo editiing software and are looking into having a go at Video editing tho ive just bought a action camera thats ment to edit itself .......crazy new to me but ill give it a go

Milzy

Guru
What are these like for Zwift? I need to get my gaming pc out of the garage & buy a laptop for indoor training. Not sure if I should stick to windows & what I know or go MacBook. I just like more FPS as the smoothness makes it so much more immersive & enjoyable.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I switched from PC to MacBookPro, about 12 years ago. First one is still going (my grandson is using it), second one (bought about 3 years ago), I am using now, no problems (touch wood). Much more reliable and long lasting than the preceding PCs of various brands.

Top Bottom