ipayroadtax.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyres

Having searched this forum and found no results I thought I'd share this interesting website for all here:
http://ipayroadtax.com/

Sorry if folks already know about this. But I really like this
thumbsup.png

wafflycat

I don't. Considering there's no such tax... and this is simply playing to the myth as opposed to correcting the myth.

The average moton is not going to get the 'irony' of the cycling shirt & fake tax disk.

wafflycat

TBH, Waffles, the avarage moton doesn't get a right lot IME.

I agree. Which is why I don't think the 'irony' will be understood. Best stick with the simple truth, IMO to simply tell the average moton that he/she is a simple soul and needs to simply understand that there is no such tax as 'road tax' Of course, when you've got the major car manufacturers doing deals on 'road tax' being given away as part of the latest finance initiative to purchase a car, or how the latest model means reduced or no 'road tax' to pay, perhaps it's the manufacturers who need a kick up the metaphoric?

Why bother? I use the expression 'tax disc' often enough. Indeed, when I'm queueing at the Post Office (Yes! I prefer to do it the old-fashioned way), I don't start thinking, 'I'm getting my VED disc'. When I reach the counter I ask for a 'tax disc'. When the first of the month comes round and I dutifully stick it on the windscreen, I'm thinking of it as a 'tax disc'. Nothing else.

I admit, sometimes I may be guilty of a bit of pedantry - on this forum too! May I redress things by insisting, it really doesn't matter!

What's far more meaningful to the motorist maybe, is to retort: "I pay for a tax disc too, although my car's parked on the drive out of everyone's way". I appreciate that not every cyclist has that up their sleeve.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What's far more meaningful to the motorist maybe, is to retort: "I pay for a tax disc too, although my car's parked on the drive out of everyone's way". I appreciate that not every cyclist has that up their sleeve.

They'll probably think you're lying. I mean, why would anyone cycle if they have a perfectly serviceable car available? Madness.

adscrim

Veteran
VED is actually a road tax though isn't it? While it's not a tax that pays for the roads, it is a tax that more polluting users, with vehicles younger than a certain age, have to pay in order to use the roads. Even the direct gov website montions 'road tax' in the same breath as 'car tax' and 'vehicle tax'.

The most accurate retort for most of us is 'yes I do!' as most of us contribute to gov coffers in some way.

wafflycat

VED is actually a road tax though isn't it? While it's not a tax that pays for the roads, it is a tax that more polluting users, with vehicles younger than a certain age, have to pay in order to use the roads. Even the direct gov website montions 'road tax' in the same breath as 'car tax' and 'vehicle tax'.

The most accurate retort for most of us is 'yes I do!' as most of us contribute to gov coffers in some way.
No, VED is a tax on motor vehicles, specifically payable by the registered keeper of a motor vehicle.
I use a motor vehicle on the roads and I don't pay VED on it - when I use DH's vehicle.

It is NOT a tax on 'roads', nor do you have to pay it to legitimately use a motor on the roads...

adscrim

Veteran
No, VED is a tax on motor vehicles, specifically payable by the registered keeper of a motor vehicle.
I use a motor vehicle on the roads and I don't pay VED on it - when I use DH's vehicle.

It is NOT a tax on 'roads', nor do you have to pay it to legitimately use a motor on the roads...

But it has to be paid for the vehicle to be used on the road should that vehicle be applicable under the tax regulations - hence the SORN, if the vehicle is off the road there is no need to pay VED.

wafflycat

But it has to be paid for the vehicle to be used on the road should that vehicle be applicable under the tax regulations - hence the SORN, if the vehicle is off the road there is no need to pay VED.

It is a motor vehicle tax, NOT a road tax. In order to *use* the machine on the road, where you drive it, you have to have a valid driving licence. VED merely gives a legitimate reason to have a motor vehicle parked on the public highway in such a way as to not cause an obstruction... it gives no right or licence to *use* the motor. For that you need other things. Indeed I can *use* a motor vehicle entirely legally without paying VED.

adscrim

Veteran
It is a motor vehicle tax, NOT a road tax. In order to *use* the machine on the road, where you drive it, you have to have a valid driving licence. VED merely gives a legitimate reason to have a motor vehicle parked on the public highway in such a way as to not cause an obstruction... it gives no right or licence to *use* the motor. For that you need other things. Indeed I can *use* a motor vehicle entirely legally without paying VED.

You still need a tax disc for the vehicle to legally be on the road, even those exempt for the payment of VED still have to go through the VED process and display a valid disc. I'm not saying the payment of VED provides a greater right to one road user over another. I'm saying that in the majority of cases for private road users, they have had to pay VED in order to use the road legally. As such, the argument that they don't pay road tax is not going to wash with them.

wafflycat

You still need a tax disc for the vehicle to legally be on the road, even those exempt for the payment of VED still have to go through the VED process and display a valid disc. I'm not saying the payment of VED provides a greater right to one road user over another. I'm saying that in the majority of cases for private road users, they have had to pay VED in order to use the road legally. As such, the argument that they don't pay road tax is not going to wash with them.

That doesn't alter the fact that they are in error if they believe they pay 'road tax' as there is no such tax.

spire

To the point
I think the site merely serves to confuse the issue more. Even for folk like us who are interested in the topic, you have to work hard to follow their line of reasoning.

Top Bottom