IPBoard mobile Theme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
I've noticed that when using the mobile theme, the list at the foot of the screen, Search · Mark Board As Read · Back To Top
there's an option before search that's not got the dot between it & search which causes a bit of confusion.

Can't remember what it is as I'm on FF & the phone's downstairs :whistle: but keep meaning to report it. If I add the post now, when I check at home, I'll add a screenshot so it's clear!

Shaun

Founder
Found this and cured it.

It was a "& middot;" missing between the first element (skin chooser) and Search.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

jonesy

Guru
I've noticed that the pages on the mobile theme still seem to be largish files- 180k or so, unless my phone is giving me confusing information. I have a feeling that the pages on the old theme were smaller (even though I don't think it had a separate version for mobile use?). Is there any way of reducing this file size?

Shaun

Founder
180k sounds way too big - I expect it's misreporting.

The mobile theme was specifically designed with no images and minimal content for a small footprint for G3 transmission.

I'll check with Firebug later and see.

Cheers,

jonesy

Guru
Hi,As an experiment I've just tried viewing the site using the mobile theme on my desktop, and I downloaded a page (this thread actually) and saved it locally. I'm assuming this would be the same files as would be downloaded if I were viewing with a mobile? Anyway, 14 files were downloaded, 6 of which are PNGs or GIFs, at about 1k each, so not a problem. The four biggest files were:
Index.php 159k
Index(1).php 11k
fusionmenu.js 19k
topichover_hover.css 34k

Is this what you'd expect to see?

Shaun

Founder
Index.php shouldn't be 159k for the mobile skin, and it shouldn't download the topic hover java either - that's what I'd expect for a standard skin.

I've just tested the mobile skin in Firefox with Firebug (reports on the size/type of downloaded content) which says the page is around 4k with a number of other items at around 20k or so.

It could be that the forums are not "seeing" your mobile as a mobile and sending the non-mobile skin content.

What make and model is your mobile?

Cheers,

jonesy

Guru
Hi, it is a HTC Rose, running Windows Mobile 6.1

There is something a bit odd going on here: when I view the page properties on the phone's browser, it shows a file size of ~15k, however it took ~180k of download before it displayed. I don't think the phone is displaying an incorrect download size, as it does take a long time for each page to download, consistent with the 150k to 190k download sizes I am getting, and that is the size of the files that I downloaded last night onto my desktop using the Mobile theme (using Chrome).

Looking back at the files I downloaded (see my post above), I'm a bit suspicious that it seems to show two versions of index.php, is it downloading a load of unnecessary files before it can show the reduced size mobile version?

Shaun

Founder
I'll ask in the IPS forums if I need to add/modify anything for the boards to see a HTC signature?

There are separate entries for different mobile makes.

Cheers,

jonesy

Guru
I'll ask in the IPS forums if I need to add/modify anything for the boards to see a HTC signature?

There are separate entries for different mobile makes.

Cheers,

Hi, did you get any response on this? Is it just me getting ~180k downloads when viewing the mobile theme...? I'd be interested to know what other people are experiencing?

jonesy

Guru
Hi, did you get any response on this? Is it just me getting ~180k downloads when viewing the mobile theme...? I'd be interested to know what other people are experiencing?

Hi, sorry to bump the thread, was just wondering if you've shed any light on this?

thanks

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Hi I also have a HTC (desire) but haven't got the same problem.

The only thing I find quite annoying is that I have to change the theme every time between PC and mobile accesses. Basically, I change to the mobile theme using my phone then when back to my PC I have to change the theme back to (any of my choice) and vice versa

It would be nice if it could change automatically to the mobile version when accessed by mobile phones. See the mobile theme version only when accessing via mobile?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Shaun

Founder
Sorry, not made any headway. IPS are being vague about what settings are needed to properly capture the correct agent type when connecting with a HTC handset.

I've got a couple of things I want to try, but at the moment and pushing to get all the old data transferred across.

Cheers,

jonesy

Guru
Thanks Shaun!

rockyracoon: Interesting. I don't have that problem, when I connect with my mobile it shows the mobile theme, when I view on a PC it shows the standard theme. I've not had to switch anything manually. The problem I get is that when viewing with the mobile it still seems to download a large ~180k php file that it doesn't display, alongside the mobile theme files. What sort of download size are you getting?

jonesy

Guru
Shaun, a followup to this discussion: I've just installed Opera mobile 10, which once I'd selected the mobile theme now seems to download the correct file sizes .so perhaps there is something odd with my windows mobile browser version. the IP board doesn't auto detect the Opera mobile, but that's not a huge problem.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
It is working here! No need to change between themes as long as I have the IPBoard selected on my PC. With any other theme I'd have to change manually. Cheers.

Top Bottom