Iridium Flare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
Iridium flares? I had a pair of those in the 1970's

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
If your on Twitter, follow @VirtualAstro. He posts in real time when the ISS is going overhead and other 'Astro Things' (he also loves a bit of cycling)

Sorry Cunobelin loads of questions for you on this........
How was the trip and did you see aurora?

Fantastic trip, very cold (-15) with wind chill and 35m/s winds. At one point the road either side of Vik was closed so we were hotel bound, but still enjoyable

Lots of local food, lots of waterfalls and snowy walks

What camera/ lens were you using?

I use two cameras

1. Olympus PEN EPL5 which has a stock 14-42 mm lens. Thwonderful thing with this camera is that it has a "Bulb" setting with an updaing display so that you can watch the image develop and close the shutter when you have what you want

2. Pentax K50 with stock 18-55 mm lens, with this one it is guess work, but it is part of the fun

What settings did you use and how did the pictures turn out?

Both cameras are on manual focus just tweaked back from infinity
As above, use the EPL5 and then duplicate the time on the K50, look at image and shorten /lengthen as required.

I also shoot in RAW and JPEG which allows additional processing

Unfortunately we did not see the Aurora on the southern part of the trip due to either bad weather when there was activity or clear weather and no activity

The only time we saw the Aurora was in Reykjavik, and we were in the pub!

I only had the pocket camera, and auto focus which is unsuitable

Still there is always next year

Doseone

Guru
@Cunobelin Brilliant, thanks for that, sounds like you had a great time. We've been fancying a trip to Iceland, it looks like an amazing place. Everyone I know who's been there has loved it.
That bulb setting on your PEN sounds really useful.

Top Bottom