Iron Horse Zebra Metropolitan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebuild1961

This bike was given to me and I'm wondering if I should bother spending time getting it road worthy. It's clean, needs tires and bearing on rear hub. Just looking for any feedback. Tks.
0201181940.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Large frame. Relaxed geometry. Upright riding position. It could make a very worthy tourer. Iconic name from the MTB past as well. Didn't the later Horses have an odd sort of A frame?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Large frame. Relaxed geometry. Upright riding position. It could make a very worthy tourer. Iconic name from the MTB past as well. Didn't the later Horses have an odd sort of A frame?

I'd be very happy if someone had given me that! Looks like it could make a nice tidy and useful bike without much expense or effort. Any reasonable quality 1980's and 1990's fully rigid bikes are always worth saving if they can be repaired and made useable for a modest outlay. The frames are sturdy and have sensible geometry, plus there are no suspension parts to wear out. Most of my bikes date from this era and don't have any stupid and useless modern "improvements" like sealed press-fit BB's and stems that need spacers to adjust them. These are simple, easy to fix, cheap to run bikes that will just keep going.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

I'd be very happy if someone had given me that! Looks like it could make a nice tidy and useful bike without much expense or effort. Any reasonable quality 1980's and 1990's fully rigid bikes are always worth saving if they can be repaired and made useable for a modest outlay. The frames are sturdy and have sensible geometry, plus there are no suspension parts to wear out. Most of my bikes date from this era and don't have any stupid and useless modern "improvements" like sealed press-fit BB's and stems that need spacers to adjust them. These are simple, easy to fix, cheap to run bikes that will just keep going.
I do have a question. When I took apart the rear hub there a two thin washers that I can't remember where these go,(pic included) in not sure if these go on after the bearings or the go onto the lock ring.
0202180803.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Cheap and cheerful boat anchor - it may be from a hallowed brand of yore, but it's not exotic in any way. That said, it looks a step above the catalogue £99 BSO's, so if you can get it running safely again for less than £20 then its cheap, worthy and comfortable transport for someone. Eminently usable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Cheap and cheerful boat anchor - it may be from a hallowed brand of yore, but it's not exotic in any way. That said, it looks a step above the catalogue £99 BSO's, so if you can get it running safely again for less than £20 then its cheap, worthy and comfortable transport for someone. Eminently usable.
Yep. Its just clean and needs tires and reassemble the axle bearings. Tks!

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

That's a heck of a lot of bearings, BMX type hub ? if the bike has a splined freehub conventional fitting says behind the cassette but that lockring looks much more like a freewheel unit lockring to me.
Small bearings go on freewheel reverse, the larger on the front side. I am guessing the 2 washers go on with the lock ring. When I'm home tonight I will mess with the reassembly while the freewheel is cleaned before I lube it and reinstall the bearings and lock ring, tks!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Small bearings go on freewheel reverse, the larger on the front side. I am guessing the 2 washers go on with the lock ring. When I'm home tonight I will mess with the reassembly while the freewheel is cleaned before I lube it and reinstall the bearings and lock ring, tks!
Like I posted good luck with re-assembling a freewheel, I took one apart as a youth and never managed to get it back together. Much later someone said you use a piece of thread to hold the 'Pawls' retracted then pull that out when it is nearly together. Nowadays once the sprockets have worn I just replace the lot and service the wheel bearings whilst the whole freewheel unit is off.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Like I posted good luck with re-assembling a freewheel, I took one apart as a youth and never managed to get it back together. Much later someone said you use a piece of thread to hold the 'Pawls' retracted then pull that out when it is nearly together. Nowadays once the sprockets have worn I just replace the lot and service the wheel bearings whilst the whole freewheel unit is off.
Ok got the info I need, the washers rest on the hub body, the bearings are about 70 total ( 1/8 inch, found them on eBay 100 for $4.95. Just meet to get some marine grease and larger bearings for the other side of the hub and some patience) However, the lock ring for my peugeot 103 (another task waiting in the wings) has external spines. I think I was use channel lock pliers to tighten this one. Anyway, thank for the info and video link.

Top Bottom