Ironman in 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
If anyone wants some advice taking on a middle or long distance triathlon post here :smile:

I've just registered for a 70.3 in France on 14th May:

IMG_7609.jpg

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/pays-d-aix.aspx

bathtub

IM 70.3 World Champs, Chattanooga, USA. my A race for the 2017 season.

bathtub

AG 60-64. Qualified at Weymouth 70.3 September .
Probably one of the first qualifier events for 2017 World Champs which was good for me to book hotel pre Xmas as all accommodation in Chattanooga now fully booked. Expensive entry fee at $425 which had to be paid on qualification day or else lose your slot.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Not far off. How's the training going @Tin Pot ?

Yes, three weeks to go :ohmy:

Holidaying messed up the build phase of training, kept the bike up but missed a lot of run and swim so I'm fighting to get back on track this week (4 bike, 4 run, 4 swim)

Bike
+
Positives are that my biking feels stronger, and I have a decent aero position on a real tri bike.
I've been pretty good getting in four sessions per week since January, FTP increased at least 18%

-
Delays in getting the new bike road worthy means I haven't got road time on it

Swim
+
Two decent open water swims in Spain mean my wetsuit is tested, pace okay for now need to shave down 10s/100 on he day which should be okay
-
Inconsistent training between once and four times per week

Run
+
Interval training working and long runs feeling solid but too slow
No injuries
-
Inconsistent again from none to four per week recently. If I don't fix this I'll be plodding around again like the last three years and disappointed with the whole season.

Sleep
Pattern has been irregular but I am getting my usual six hours, recently moved to a ten o'clock bedtime which is going okay.
Im not nearly as fatigued as last year so life is pretty normal.

Nutrition
Okay. My plan this year was to eat normal meals and only add during sessions - I've managed to keep to this but I'm not losing weight, which is unexpected and going to impact performance badly.

Summary
The main thing is consistent running and a lack of weight loss, I'm two or three kilos heavier than this time last year when I hoped to be two or three less than last year and I'm not running any faster.

Bike leg should be easy though ;)

Thanks for asking - I had a bunch of mates asking about this yesterday evening, then I couldn't sleep last night from worrying!

:bicycle:

I'm off for a 2hr40min run now and a 10TT tonight.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Just getting my bike sorted out, trying to relax in a French cafe but my hearts racing already.

Live coverage (I'm off with the M40-44 orange caps about 06:45 BST) is here:
http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=france70.3&year=2017

It's lovely here in Aix, blue skies and classic French cafe culture.

Met an Australian family last night travelling around Europe and when I called for the bill they'd bought my dinner for me! Random acts of kindness indeed...

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Done. Boom.

What a bike course. I'll look up col de certe later, it's a proper bike climb not like the hills they put in UK IM courses. And the descents...
:wub:

IMG_8334.JPG

Stephenite

Membå
I'm doing the seasons first sprint the same day. Done bollocks all training - job, kids, booze getting in the way. Hoping it's gonna kickstart some training so i can get an olly in before the water freezes over here.

Good luck @Tin Pot and well done for the half in Aix.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
IM70.3 UK is in the bag.

Wimbleball is legendary, and the last IM race there, and it completely schooled me. Waaaay slower than at Aix en Provence, I comfortably made the cutoffs but for he first time ever I had to do the maths as I started the run :ohmy:

Suffering, really:
IMG_8588.JPG

Some of the elite age groupers bikes:

IMG_8560.JPG

IMG_8561.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Not long now, race starts 06:00 on Sunday, hopefully finish before darkness falls.

There are rumours Alastair Brownlee may race, as per the sign up sheet here at the Macron Stadium, Bolton.

IMG_8692.jpg

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Wow, I was torn a new one this year. Over an hour and forty longer to finish this year, wasn't sure I was going to make it at all...but I didn't come last.

In the hotel with the bike and posters from the kids
IMG_8696.JPG

Race tats
IMG_8723.JPG

Getting the bus there...
IMG_8724.JPG

Getting the bus back..!
IMG_8726.JPG

Top Bottom