Ironman Jalabert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This made me smile, I can just imagine the cycle stage as 1000 competitors go "What the Fahhh?" as he goes by:

LAURENT JALABERT FINISHED IN THE TOP 100 AT THE HAWAIIAN IRONMAN

Laurent Jalabert completes the Hawaiian Ironman in 76th overall, the most prestigious and challenging triathlon in the world. The famous French cyclist had a tremendous performance to finish in the top 100 and well under 10hours at 9h15m58s to be exact. Indeed, Jaja came out of the water in 1145th place ( 3.8km) and past by 1000 competitors on his LOOK 496 Tri during the 180km cycling leg. He ended the cycling portion in 105th place going into the marathon.

Well he should be tasty on a bike and he did 2:55 at New York in 2005 so he's a very decent marathoner too
(Lance aimed at it last year but couldn't break 3:00 despite having a couple of pacers :blush:).

Whilst not comparing myself quite to 'JaJa', I run and bike and did an open-water tri (not Ironman I hasten to add !!) earlier this year.
I'm a sh*te swimmer so was 3rd-last out of the water in my wave and a guy then passed me in transition so I was 2nd-last.
I gave up counting after I'd passed 40-odd people on the bike; because I was so far back I just kept catching people who were better in the water but not so good on the road.
It was a great feeling seeing someone, pulling them in and passing them, targetting the next one, and then the next, etc.

Interesting to Google 'Jalabert Ironman'

Apparently after he qualified for Kona by doing IM Switzerland he said
Asked about his prospects in Hawaii he said, “After my first ever Ironman in June this year I had a month of a break in my training but I am still in good shape and look forward to racing here in Hawaii. I am a bad swimmer, so basically I will be very happy once on the bike. But I have nothing to prove – I have done so in my professional career. And I will have to spare some energy for the run which is quite hard for a cyclist since my muscles are not too used to that.”[/font]
http://www.tri247.com/article_2538_Hawaii+Ironman+update+%233.html?category=long_distance

(yeah, I'll bet he's a 'bad swimmer' - Ironman is 2.4mile open water swim.
Like I said, I'm a sh*te swimmer ! 750m was enough for me...)

Lots of people going blogs :
http://www.kapiticyclingclub.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=143&Itemid=32
- this guy finished in front of him, passed him on the run
http://robchancesworld.blogspot.com/
- and this guy was passed by him on the bike

monnet

Guru
My mate did the New York marathon in 2006 and passed Armstrong at about 22 miles. he said Armstrong was in a world of pain. For the record my pal did it in 2h55 that year.

monnet

Guru
My mate did the New York marathon in 2006 and passed Armstrong at about 22 miles. he said Armstrong was in a world of pain. For the record my pal did it in 2h55 that year.

DaveyL

Yeah, it sounds like Armstrong really suffered last year, and I think he suggested he didn't do anywhere near enough training in '06. Pretty impressive time this year. I wounder what his swimming is like, after all these years away from tri.

Has Olano done an ironman, or just marathon running. I know Rolf Aldag, as well as Jaja, has had a go at ironman-distance tri. Can't think of any other ex-pro cyclists who have.

DaveyL

Yeah, it sounds like Armstrong really suffered last year, and I think he suggested he didn't do anywhere near enough training in '06. Pretty impressive time this year. I wounder what his swimming is like, after all these years away from tri.

Has Olano done an ironman, or just marathon running. I know Rolf Aldag, as well as Jaja, has had a go at ironman-distance tri. Can't think of any other ex-pro cyclists who have.

Top Bottom