Irony thread #513

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just had a call from a bobby I know, wanted to borrow a trolley jack.

Anyway, we got to chatting, you know, who's doing who, what's going on crime wise. Well, you'll probably recall the high profile adverts on TV for Ring doorbells, the ones with the built in CCTV and even speakers? If you do you'll likely remember their proud boast that it could even help to reduce crime.

Well, the news is that there's a big trend nationwide for the theft of...Ring doorbells. Lord only knows what they do with them or even how they get them. Anyway, if you believed the ads and brought one thinking it would reduce crime, then you have my sympathies for the sleepless nights you're about to have while you sit awake wondering when some scumbag is going to oik your expensive doorbell! :laugh:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Maybe it'd be prudent to have a cctv camera pointed at your Ring doorbell, just in case....

D

Deleted member 26715

I would suggest a 3rd cctv pointing at the 2nd cctv thats pointing at the doorbell. :rolleyes:
For all good CCTV installations it is always prudent to have all cameras to be covered by at least one other camera, however after offering the solution to the client the red pen comes out & 30% get removed.

classic33

Leg End Member
With on line recording, and a shotgun triggered when the 3rd camera goes ?
Kranks Landmine.

D

Deleted member 26715

I always send in my undercover CCTV inspector

keithmac

Guru
I thought when they first came out thats an expensive thing to have stuck on your door frame.

I bet 9 times out of 10 it's just a bit of double sided tape holding them down..

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I always thought the "criminal deterrent" bit was laughable anyway, if anything it's the opposite of a deterrent. If I'm casing a house and the doorbell challenges me, I *know* for sure that nobody's home.
I love the advert, the would-be burglar gets challenged by the doorbell going "Hey, I know what you're doing" and he just goes "fair enough mate" and wanders off.
(As opposed to the realistic scenario where he strips the house of all the electronics within 2 minutes, and takes the doorbell for good measure).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Don't Ring replace the doorbell if it gets stolen?

Craig Charles fitted on on last week's Gadget Show, they are just clipped into a holder on the door frame, so would be very easy to liberate if you were that way inclined. Although the householder would at least have footage of it being taken...

Top Bottom