Irresponsible Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

Rant time - Let me say first, I do love dogs and all animals in general but...

I use a shared cycleway on my commute and it is usually full of dog walkers on my way home. I dont have a problem with this and most people take hold of their dogs when the see a cyclist approaching...but...

There are the morons that think its OK to let their yappy little stupid handbag dogs (usually orange women with ridiculous eyebrows) run around...now I will do anything to avoid a collision but if I happen to hit your dog with 15kg of my hybrid tourer and 14 stone of me on top your dog will likely die...so take your face out of your stupid phone and take some control...

Different situation Tuesday night...respectable looking gentleman with a furry crocodile (Alsatian) at the side chatting to someone without the dog on a lead..I thought nothing of it and as I passed the dog went for me...snarling and everything..I was on a uphill so couldnt outrun this thing...last resort I had to give it a quick kick in the boat race to fend it off....the bloke started moaning!....cue me questioning his parentage and his mental ability!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
This is why I tend to avoid cycle paths.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

You kicked a dog rather than just thinking of slowing down or stopping on a path where as a cyclist you don’t actually have priority.
Nice... not

If you don’t want to be considerate to pedestrians , use the road

Ermm...the dog was trying to take a chunk out of me...I could feel its breath on my calves....so stopping would have offered it a stationary target to bite the heck out of....would you have done that?????

vickster

Legendary Member
Ermm...the dog was trying to take a chunk out of me...I could feel its breath on my calves....so stopping would have offered it a stationary target to bite the heck out of....would you have done that?????
I would have called the owner or not got close to the dog in the first place

However, it is your third paragraph which is utterly unreasonable imo and pretty much defines your attitude to dogs on shared paths. Without that I might just have had some sympathy wrt the Alsatian

vickster

Legendary Member
Unleashed dogs have priority over cyclists?
Imo yes, they are unpredictable so cyclists should behave as such. No different to small children who are even more unpredictable

Jody

Stubborn git
You're right they are unpredicatable but they don't have priority over a cyclist. Treat them with respect but in the eyes of the law they are not under control if not on a lead.

vickster

Legendary Member
You're right they are unpredicatable but they don't have priority over a cyclist. Treat them with respect but in the eyes of the law they are not under control if not on a lead.
I don’t think kicking one is terribly respectful?

The OP knows that there are dogs loose on the path but he or she continues to use it preferring to have a rant about a situation out of his or her control

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Well it is an NCN too..its an ex-railway line in an urban area.. and this particlular dog and owner were over to the side and not blocking my way as i went past...when I passed this dog came at me at speed and with real ferocity...it was fast too..faster than I could pedal uphill....I love all animals and cruelty to animals is something that makes my blood boil...but when faced with getting attacked Im sorry but wether you are furry or human I am going to defend myself....I take responsibility for my own actions so if you have a big furry crocodile then you should take responsibility for that....BTW the owner didnt do anything except meekly say come her, come here....which the dog ignored!

Maenchi

StoneDog
just for reference; years ago when cycling slowly on a cycle path, two people talking their dogs off leads, one them comes straight at me and goes to bite my upper inner thigh:headshake:so...instinctively I kneed it in the jaw, it backed off the owner apologised profusely, job done:excl:....sometimes defensive tactics are needed;
( I have two dogs of my own, and; as a habit I slow and say hello to dogs when cycling, offering a hand to sniff and maybe a stroke if it seems right:thumbsup:)

Top Bottom