Is a road bike right for me, and should I buy now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt a CAAD will take a rack being a road race bike. How about a Synapse? Or a Specialized Secteur?

Do you want racy styling or something more laid back?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well, I have to be practical – yes, I'd like something nice for the weekend, but equally, I need something to commute on too... I can't believe that there isn't a 105 equipped alloy bike that'll happily take rack and guards?!
ah! Here we're getting to the nub of the issue. It's not advice on bikes that you need, it's the services of Dr. DZ, the Cycling Psychologist

The Flight 01 is a fabulous bike and just great for most urban commuting but...........you hanker after a different kind of experience. Something smoother, more responsive, with greater acceleration. Something that thrills.;

So FORGET about finding a road bike that will double as a commuter. Buy a road bike that is a road bike. And road bikes that are road bikes are unencumbered by racks, panniers, mudguards and other such tat. Roadbikes are the stuff of sensual overload, of undiluted pleasure, of myth and magic. Buy the bike your heart desires, ride it like the wind and and let practicalities take care of themselves. If it's a damp dark morning in December and you fear that your 23mm tyres won't give you the purchase you need, reach for your trusty Flight 01 and relish the solidity that it offers. If, on the other hand, you wake up one morning in June with two hours to spare, then reach for the liquid, mellifluous ride that your road bike offers, and if you have to ride it to work, stick your smart keks in a cycling backpack. And, should you have time to yourself of a weekend, head for the hills knowing that there is nothing between you and the tarmac that need not be there.

And, since you didn't ask, the all carbon Decathlon B'Twin Facet 5 weighs 7.8kg and comes with a two year parts and labour guarantee and a five year frame guarantee for a measly £909

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I doubt a CAAD will take a rack being a road race bike. How about a Synapse? Or a Specialized Secteur?

Do you want racy styling or something more laid back?
Not so much 'racy' per se, but I want something that looks like a bit of thought has gone into the finish. More understated than flash though.

I saw a 2013 Secteur in the LBS on Saturday, and I couldn't help but feel that there were better specced bikes available for less money (I've always felt that about Specialized). I think the big sloping, curvy top tube and tall(-ish) front end would give a more upright ride than I'm aiming for. The Synapse spec seems quite similar to the CAAD8... how do they differ?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
ah! Here we're getting to the nub of the issue. It's not advice on bikes that you need, it's the services of Dr. DZ, the Cycling Psychologist
LOL! Well, I'm terrible at making decisions, but you're right – I have a mental issue.

The Flight 01 is a fabulous bike and just great for most urban commuting but...........you hanker after a different kind of experience. Something smoother, more responsive, with greater acceleration. Something that thrills..
Correct, and I should probably just be happy with what I've got... but I don't think it's out-with the bounds of reason to expect I can get a different commuting experience, although perhaps a road bike isn't right for me after all.... which is why I asked! My commute may be atypical – it's on cycle-path or open back roads mostly, so I'm not battling traffic or weaving my way through city centres, and I can mostly breeze along at ~20mph on the flight.

So FORGET about finding a road bike that will double as a commuter. Buy a road bike that is a road bike...

And, since you didn't ask, the all carbon Decathlon B'Twin Facet 5 weighs 7.8kg and comes with a two year parts and labour guarantee and a five year frame guarantee for a measly £909
I saw the Facet in Decathlon a few months ago. It's an intriguing proposition, but I wasn't taken on the style (looked a bit stealth fighter!) and I also thought it looked like it would fall to bits after five minutes (although maybe it wouldn't given that warranty).

Your advice is probably spot on, and were I a rich man that's exactly what I'd do... unfortunately I have neither the funds, nor the space in my shed to keep the Flight and buy another road bike. In fact, if I decide on a 'cross, it's highly likely I'll get rid of both the Flight and my Cube MTB.

Nearly there

Veteran
. The Synapse spec seems quite similar to the CAAD8... how do they differ?
I have the 2011 Synapse and i chose it over the caad 8 because the geometry is more relaxed than the caad and it comes with 25mm tyres over the caads 23mm apart from that and colour options i dont think there's much difference

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If it were me I would stick with the flight and spend the money on the repairs (and of course upgrade at the same time :rolleyes:). The flight seems a very similar proposition to my GT Traffic which is my default ride for commutting and long summer rides if the weather looks a little suspect. I do have an MTB and a skinny roadbike too but I never hesitate to pick the panniered and guarded hybrid unless the sun is guaranteed. The hybrid is as pleasant over a 100 miles as the road bike and no one I have ridden with has ever claimed the hybrid has held them up :becool:

The road bike is a pleasant indulgence but to buy it and then encumber it with the commuting paraphernalia would be a tragedy. I suspect your fear of dropping £1k and then being in the same position as you started is well grounded.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
It depend how much junk you carry on your commute too. I only use road or tt bikes and have a small back pack for my commute. It's more aerodynamic than any pannier, bit of sweaty back sometimes but so what. I use road bikes on roads without tarmac too. I have an MTB hanging in my garage with about 100 miles on it, I don't understand why people ride them on roads. It's like cycling in custard.
I've used the back pack on 100+ mile runs by myself where I need to carry a bit more food/clothing because I'll be a long walk from the nearest food place. Works for me.
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/37621/Deuter_Speed_Lite_10_Backpack

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If it were me I would stick with the flight and spend the money on the repairs (and of course upgrade at the same time :rolleyes:). The flight seems a very similar proposition to my GT Traffic which is my default ride for commutting and long summer rides if the weather looks a little suspect. I do have an MTB and a skinny roadbike too but I never hesitate to pick the panniered and guarded hybrid unless the sun is guaranteed. The hybrid is as pleasant over a 100 miles as the road bike and no one I have ridden with has ever claimed the hybrid has held them up :becool:

The road bike is a pleasant indulgence but to buy it and then encumber it with the commuting paraphernalia would be a tragedy. I suspect your fear of dropping £1k and then being in the same position as you started is well grounded.
Cheers ILS :thumbsup:

Well, like-for-like replacement bits'n'pieces were ordered to get the Flight up and running again and I've had the wheel repaired and trued, so there are no component upgrades this time.

Perhaps I am looking at this all wrong, and I do actually need 3 bikes in the shed – hybrid, skinny (light, carbon) roadie and fat MTB :whistle: All I'm sure of is that I want a drop-bar bike, and converting the Flight wouldn't make economic sense. Maybe an out-and-out "roadie" isn't the answer after all though.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
It depend how much junk you carry on your commute too. I only use road or tt bikes and have a small back pack for my commute. It's more aerodynamic than any pannier, bit of sweaty back sometimes but so what. I use road bikes on roads without tarmac too. I have an MTB hanging in my garage with about 100 miles on it, I don't understand why people ride them on roads. It's like cycling in custard.
I've used the back pack on 100+ mile runs by myself where I need to carry a bit more food/clothing because I'll be a long walk from the nearest food place. Works for me.
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/37621/Deuter_Speed_Lite_10_Backpack
Thanks AG :thumbsup:

You see, this is my problem... I'm scared that a road bike wouldn't be robust enough for the non-tarmac stuff that I'm sometimes faced with. Some people (i.e. sales staff) say you can't ride a road bike anywhere other than on tarmac. Frankly, I think that's nonsense (which you've confirmed), but equally, there are probably bikes – or perhaps more accurately – wheelsets and tyre combinations that are better suited to our appalling road surfaces and a bit of "light off-roading" (e.g. dressed paths).

Equally, I'm not 100% convinced that a 'cross such as the Boardman CX (which plenty folks seems to rave about) would feel more dynamic and exciting than my Flight... maybe I need to find one to try?!

I've not looked at a steel bike, or audax/tourer (?) but perhaps something like the Jamis Quest ought to be on my radar... that's why I posted here for some help and advice!

It's true that I don't always need a pannier, and I'm using a backpack this week whilst on the 'backup' MTB.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I rode a carbon fibre Boardman Airpro on the off road C2C route last weekend on 23mm tyres. My wife on a carbon cube with 23mm tyres. Neither bike suffered other than they got dirty. They do not handle as well off road, they sink in muddy bits. But the bumps and vibrations are no where near as bad as hitting a pothole at 45mph and blowing the wall out of a back tyre which I did in the cyclone. I've also ridden this route on a carbon tt bike with 20mm tyres. The only issue I've had is with under inflated tyres which puncture. I would not attempt a mad descent at high speed on a road bike as you don't have the traction to cope on loose stuff.
FWIW I rode one of the world championship MTB courses in Austria covered in boulders after a flood on a Dawes hybrid. I was passed by the pro's practicing on MTB's but had no problems on the Dawes aluminium bike fitted with panniers and tools.
I have also ridden the C2C route on a Boardman aluminium team bike on many occaisions without issues. I ride to work on a dirt cheap Carrera TDF road bike, I think I paid 280 for it from Halfords. It's done about 5000 miles, it has mudguards and lugs for panniers, it weighs a ton but it gets me to work. I've used that off road too. So I can find no substance to the argument that you can't use a road bike off road. You may not be able to descend as fast on a road bike but with the right gears climbing is just as quick. Remember cyclo-cross came long before MTB's and they were often road bikes people adapted for off road

You can take your pick from steel to carbon I have no reason to believe they won't fair well off road. Road bikes are light and responsive and once you get used to one I think you'll be converted. You are making all the noises of someone who wants a road bike. Plus it's just a bike, if you don't like it you can sell it.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I rode a carbon fibre Boardman Airpro on the off road C2C route last weekend on 23mm tyres. My wife on a carbon cube with 23mm tyres. Neither bike suffered other than they got dirty. They do not handle as well off road, they sink in muddy bits...

You can take your pick from steel to carbon I have no reason to believe they won't fair well off road. Road bikes are light and responsive and once you get used to one I think you'll be converted. You are making all the noises of someone who wants a road bike. Plus it's just a bike, if you don't like it you can sell it.
Yes, yes – I do! I don't know quite why... however I do know that when I'm riding the Flight, I want to be lower, further forward and pressing on. I want to feel like the bike responds when I step on the pedals. Good though the Flight may be, it just feels lethargic sometimes, and whilst it might only shave a few kgs on weight, I'm sure a road bike (even when equipped with raceblades and a light-weight alloy rack) would feel much more responsive.

Thanks for confirming that a road bike needn't necessarily be confined to silky smooth tarmac – good to know given the state of the roads around here :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Well, today was my first morning back on the Flight this week following derailleur surgery – a beautiful morning, and a new PB for my commute too! First time under 50 minutes (49:10 to be precise, taking 1:20 off my previous best), and a new high average of 17.4mph ^_^

The Flight was "naked" – no mudguards or pannier rack – and I was using the backpack that I've used the rest of the week whilst on the backup MTB. I obviously had a bit of a flyer this morning (recent commutes have been ~54 minutes), but the Flight still definitely doesn't feel as responsive to my pedal input as I'd like it to be.

Since we've got scales at work, I weighed the Flight and it came in at 13kg. I'm a bit surprised by that given it's only got a light (Moon XP500), Shimano M520 pedals and a Topeak Road Morph pump attached and Ridgeback's quoted weight is 11.1kg for a larger frame. This makes me nervous about trusting quoted weights (if indeed they're quoted at all!)...

I notice that in the Cycling Plus Defy 1 review they actually quote the weight as 8.87kg for a fully built bike (which they also state is 50g heavier than the Defy 2), so I guess I can trust that either of the Giants would be a significantly lighter, zippier proposition than the Flight?

Top Bottom