Is an electric bike rider a serious cyclist ?

Would you class using an electric cycle as cycling

• Yes if you still pedal

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yes if it has proper cycle components in the construction

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, Cycling is all about human power, You might as well be riding a m/cycle

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, I'd rather take the car, or walk

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maverick

Joe24 said:
Someone i know has an electric moped thing, has pedals on so its classed as an electric bicycle.
He gets around on it because he hurt his shoulder badly when on his bicycle, fell off on some ice. He cant go out on his bike because too much pressure is put on it, and he has problems with his leg now aswell.
So this moped thing is his transport.
There's 'onroad' mode, which is limited, and 'offroad' mode which isn't limited. So, after being a spod and not going out of 'onroad' mode, he is now spending all the time in 'offroad' mode and flying around.

Hes not a cyclist though.
If you pedal an electric bicycle then maybe, your on the verge of being a cyclist/lazy(unless you had a disability or something, then its just like a mobility scooter)

Cheers Joe, I'll just stay in and vegetate then.

bonj2

Why have you posted a poll on something that is quite patently not a matter of opinion?
It's nothing to do with whether people would "class" him as a serious cyclist.
It's like saying:
What colour is black?
a) White
:sad: Dark white
c) Dark Gray
d) Black

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
Why have you posted a poll on something that is quite patently not a matter of opinion?
It's nothing to do with whether people would "class" him as a serious cyclist.
It's like saying:
What colour is black?
a) White
:thumbsup: Dark white
c) Dark Gray
d) Black

You say your a serious cyclist when its obvious that you just arent:sad:

According to Wilkipedia a bicycle is human powered with pedals.So why on my Vehicle Log Books (V5) for my motorcycles are they classed as "bicycles" and not motorcycles.A Yamaha R1 a "bicycle" how weird is that! I certainly would not like to pedal a Honda Goldwing very far!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is an elderly gentleman who uses one to get around here, but he pedals at the same time - I've seen him cycling reasonable distances on it. I think they are good as others have said they aren't a car - so one less on the road, and may get someone cycling who couldn't otherwise.

OP
OP
V

very-near

Well, I rode a Thompson electric cycle today (another co workers bike), and i'd liken it to a very feeble moped.

41yax7zimiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

IMO, it is not cycling as this involves physical effort from the rider to turn the wheels, and the riding position means that there is litle to no effort involved in actually steering it (you actually need a lot more physical strength to ride a sports m/bike at slow speed than the Thompson electric cycle)

Chris Sirrus

coruskate said:
In the same way as a person on a motorbike does not comply.

Unless you feel that Harley riders are are cyclists, which is certainly a point of view but not one that I think is universally held

Bicycle: A vehicle consisting of a light frame mounted on two wire-spoked wheels one behind the other and having a seat, handlebars for steering, brakes, and two pedals or a small motor by which it is driven.

This thread reminds me of Antony Flew's No true Scotsman fallacy.

OP
OP
V

very-near

Chris Sirrus said:
Bicycle: A vehicle consisting of a light frame mounted on two wire-spoked wheels one behind the other and having a seat, handlebars for steering, brakes, and two pedals or a small motor by which it is driven.

This thread reminds me of Antony Flew's No true Scotsman fallacy.

I've done a few thousand miles on one of these motorcycles since the spring and commute nearly every day on it. The tax disk says 'Bicycle' so why can't I use the bus and cycle lanes by this reckoning ? :biggrin:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ysn15dm0Q

Top Bottom