Is Anglesey perimeter in 1 day feasible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
First of all.......I'm 65 and recently got back into cycling. I Have managed several outings of 20-25 miles with stops for water (2-3 hours).
I will be training through the winter on the excercise bike (2 x 30 minute sprints + 1 x hour per week) plus getting out weather permitting-- and am thinking of trying this circuit next April/May.
It will be on my road bike (27 gears)

Now-I was confident when I thought the perimeter was 65 miles but I have since learned that it may be nearer to 105 miles.....which is a very different matter:ohmy: and I still have to verify that.
I won't be strictly following the actual minor coastal roads as that will be very difficult but the 'A' roads which 'more-or-less' follow it.

So.....has anyone done this trip that can give me any advice?
I will be there on holiday so could split it over 2 days (consequetive or with a break) as my wife will happily drop me off/collect me (isn't she good........or is she trying to get rid of me:headshake:) but a 1 day trip was what I had in mind.

Nantmor

Anglesey is great for cycling, but the A road which more or less follows the coast can be a bit busy in holiday periods. The lanes of the island are marvellous (but even more corrugated, Anglesey is not flat) and I think should not be missed. Especially the ones down to remote coves, which are awkward for a circumnavigation. I don't know the distance, 105 miles sounds about right. I would break it up into two days and avoid the red roads. The old A5 is fairly quiet and a good quick way back from the Holy Island area.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Anglesey is great for cycling, but the A road which more or less follows the coast can be a bit busy in holiday periods. The lanes of the island are marvellous (but even more corrugated, Anglesey is not flat) and I think should not be missed. Especially the ones down to remote coves, which are awkward for a circumnavigation. I don't know the distance, 105 miles sounds about right. I would break it up into two days and avoid the red roads. The old A5 is fairly quiet and a good quick way back from the Holy Island area.

I was thinking of starting near Holyhead and going down the old A road to Brygwran then branching right down the 4080 all the way to Menai then back on the 5025 on the other side of the island.
Thanks

It's not a bad ride that, particularly the 4080 which does visit the coast. I only have sketchy pictures of the other side as I don't visit it often but I'd say it's a little less scenic but still a pleasant ride. The smaller minor roads contain all the surprises but they are a bit maze like, try getting to Lyn Alaw, for instance. Getting to the coast is the same, you often have to detour. It's worth it but if your aim is to get around the island in a day then the route you've outlined is the simplest, you really need to explore the minor roads before trying to link them and that needs more than a day. I would ride that route though. I'd probably do it the other way around because the 4080 would be the bit I was looking forward to more.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
"I would ride that route though. I'd probably do it the other way around because the 4080 would be the bit I was looking forward to more".

Good suggestion.......from memory the 5025 has more hills (around Benllech-Amwlch) so doing that first would probably be better

judder

Hey Dave,
After you have done it, put a post up, thinking about doing later in the year and would like to hear which way you went.
Thanks

Ethan

Hey Dave,
After you have done it, put a post up, thinking about doing later in the year and would like to hear which way you went.
Thanks

Ill second that.
Im doing it this summer, and I'd love to see which way you went. Im planning on starting from home in Llandegfan (3 miles from Beaumaris), but im making a point of riding down to the beach at Llanddona, going along the road there and then cycling back up the hill.
I dont have any idea which route to take other than that, I genuinely have no idea of the roads in the North and West of the island!

Superbadger, I see you're cycling from Leigh to Llandudno. Im seriously thinking about cycling from Manchester to Anglesey in a (very long) day once Uni has finished. What roads are you taking?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I will be happy to put the post up.
The last "big" ride I did was some 15 years ago (Warrington to New Brighton) and my knees where the only problem......but a BIG problem. This time I'm hoping to gradually build up the surrounding muscles to help take the strain......that's why I will wait till May.
When I was 15 (a mere 50 yrs ago) did Wallasey to Anglesey and dont remember any pain.....I wonder what went wrong??

Top Bottom