Is anyone you know jinxed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My Wife is jinxed.

No two ways about it. Holidays are planned and taken, and something always happens whilst we are there.

As some examples:

1. San Francisco (1989) - Biggest earthquake in a number of years hits the city. This was before I met her, so it seems that I'm not to blame for this phase in her life.;)

2. Dominican Republic (1995) - Almost hit by a hurricane passing the island which was thought to be no danger at all...

3. Kenya (1996) - Civil unrest and uprising whilst we were there

4. Washington DC (and Fredericksburg, Va) (2002) - Washington sniper(s)

5. Canada (2003) - Massive outbreak of West Nile diseased mosquitos spreading throughout the country

6. Spain (2004) - Eta bombing of railway stations/trains

Does anyone else know people like this?

Is my Wife the reincarnation of Richard Burton in the Medusa Touch... is she willing these things to happen to spice up our mundane lives???

Or is she, as I suspect, just letting me know that she controls everything, not just me. :blush:;)

yello

Doesn't sound like she's jinxed to me! Rather blessed to have been in the vicinity of such incidents and survived! Luck is a matter of how you look at things.

That said, I have a friend who does seem to attract an undue amount of bad luck - even by my 'half full' view!

Nobody in particular but my marriage is. We have one major disaster (financial, personal, material etc) per year, but keep on getting through them! I suppose it's a good thing. Same goes for my brother actually. In fact, it's probably true of most people, come to think of it....

barq

Has she given up going on holiday, because the world might be a better place if she did! ;)

On a more serious note... (he says in a crunching segue worthy of Richard Madeley). My old manager Lee went on his honeymoon to New York. On the 10th Sept 2001 they had breakfast up the top of one of the World Trade Centre towers - 24 hours later they watched it collapse. Needless to say it spoiled the start of their marriage and in the midst of the human tragedy and political ramifications they found it very hard to express why it affected them so personally when other people kept telling them how 'lucky' they'd been. Weirdly he'd been on the reserve list for Big Brother so they nearly didn't go at all.

ChrisKH

Guru
Kirstie said:
Nobody in particular but my marriage is. We have one major disaster (financial, personal, material etc) per year, but keep on getting through them! I suppose it's a good thing. Same goes for my brother actually. In fact, it's probably true of most people, come to think of it....

Yep. It is a signpost or indicator of the human condition. Only the young and lucky are impervious.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I had a pair of jinxed jeans, seemingly incapable of passing a table of drinks without spilling someone's beer whenever I was wearing them.

On the upside, it was never my beer!

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
barq said:
Weirdly he'd been on the reserve list for Big Brother so they nearly didn't go at all.
Obviously he's a very lucky bloke - both avoiding the twin-towers collapsing and Big Brother!!

I'll just add that since we've had kids the Holiday Jinxing seems to have died down a bit... or maybe it's just that we're too busy trying to entertain them to notice the state of the world whilst we're away! :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Colleague of mine does a lot of work in the Philipines and Borneo, and whenever he goes to either, they seem to have an earthquake, or cyclone, or coup-etat.

Actually, I wonder if he came back to Market Rasen last Tuesday night/Weds morning...

Otherwise, I know someone who was sitting by the campus lake, and a goose landed on her head, and everyone said it was just the sort of thing that happened to her.

Melvil

My girlfriend was probably jinxed when a high-flying seagull shat upon her nice new top....twice in ten minutes.

However I did literally wet myself laughing so she kind of got her own back

curve

Isn't it meant to be lucky for that to happen?

Or is it bad luck for it to happen twice by the same bird?

My family (mum, dad, me, my brother) could bring rain to the Sahara if we all went there together on holiday. It only works if all 4 are there, but we did it everywhere - 'Sunny' Hunny, Wales (obviously), Tenerife (raining as we landed), New York (tropical storm) and the best one, Dunwich, where the lighting was so close it knocked the TV aerial off the roof of the cottage and you could see the bolt hit the ground JUST outside the window.

Aint Skeered

Me, I don't seem to be very lucky in life( I did win a £2 record token in 1973 through) My dad summed it up by saying that if I fell into a bucket of tits, I would come out sucking my thumb!
Mind you I do have a healthy and happy family, and can pedal quite fast as well, so lifes not all bad

Top Bottom