Is Avast still the best 'free' anti-virus software?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My McAfee sub on my home (and previously limited Co) laptop has just expired, and I am contemplating not renewing. While I've had no issues (and I don't use the laptop much nowadays as I have a phone, iPad, work laptop), what is recommended these days for anti-virus software.
Windows 10 (so I have Windows Defender or whatever it's called), i5, HP Envy machine running Office.
Cheers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Windows Defender does everything the third party AVs do and won't screw up your computer like they often do.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I've run Avast free for several years and it has worked but in the last year I've noticed it becoming more intrusive, trying to sell you all manner of upgrades with dire threats of what could happen if you don't. I did have Windows defender or whatever it was called then on my old XP laptop and it seemed to work OK but once further security upgrades stopped happening I switched to Avast. Eventually upgrades stopped being available for Avast, Firefox and all the other stuff I used through choice, and I ended up with a Windows 10 laptop. I just stuck with Avast through habit. It might be worth uninstalling Avast if the Windows antivirus does the job without the harassment of Avast. Unless someone out there knows different!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Windows Defender does everything the third party AVs do and won't screw up your computer like they often do.

I just cannot get this through to my mate who is far from being a numpty.

Every year he forks out for McAfee. 🙄

Been using Windows Defender and its similarly named predecessor for years without any problems whatsoever.

It simply works.

crossfire

OK, so I`m paranoid! But I use Avast Premium, Avast Cleanup, and Malwarebytes, all paid for, and also run Defender and Zone Alarm Free Firewall. Any attempts to gain access are hopefully headed off at the pass (firewall?) I started using Avast and Malwarebytes when the daughter went to Uni in `99, as they were recommended for all students at Swansea Uni. Started with the free but changed to subs in the last few years, - and yes Avast keeps insisting I need its VPN, Driver updater, etc., but I can be surprisingly deaf/blind to their warnings of doom. My daughter just has the free Avast on her laptops, ( one home the other work supplied ), and she has just finished a PhD in Computer Science

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OK, so I`m paranoid! But I use Avast Premium, Avast Cleanup, and Malwarebytes, all paid for, and also run Defender and Zone Alarm Free Firewall. Any attempts to gain access are hopefully headed off at the pass (firewall?) I started using Avast and Malwarebytes when the daughter went to Uni in `99, as they were recommended for all students at Swansea Uni. Started with the free but changed to subs in the last few years, - and yes Avast keeps insisting I need its VPN, Driver updater, etc., but I can be surprisingly deaf/blind to their warnings of doom. My daughter just has the free Avast on her laptops, ( one home the other work supplied ), and she has just finished a PhD in Computer Science

now im not a tech wizz but if you run 3rd party it switches off windows defender protection so your not really gaining extra protection ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Why? It did get bloated sometime back but has slimmed down somewhat and I get it free with BT WiFi.
Why? I once had some problems installing a renewed subscription so I phoned their technical helpline. The "technical expert" persuaded me to allow him to take control of my PC remotely. Forty minutes later he had rendered my machine almost completely inoperable, to the extent that I had to back-up all my files and reinstall Windows.
I won't be making the same mistake again.

I have been using AVAST for many years - it has worked really well so I set it up to be used where I worked
(I was the IT Technician in a school)

no problems

BUT

One of the things I like is that the free version has a password manager in it - and I have it on both my computers and it shares the password data

Yesterday I had major problems with the 'other' computer and I ended up re loading windows from scratch so I reinstalled AVAST
but what I got was AVAST One - which is different
most looks the same - different screens but the functions are the same

except the password manager seems to have gone - some bits about it being usable for those who had it before but nothing about using it after an re-install

Which means I could go back to defender with no problems - and less nagging - then use a better password manager from somewhere else and use the chepa windows optimiser that I have been using for years

and it does nag about dire problems that, after a whole career in IT, I know to not be serious

Top Bottom