Is car ownership dying out among the younger generations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I sincerely hope so.

Mini D, about to turn 13 going on 50, is very level headed. She plans to take her test as it may be useful on the job front, but if at all possible she's hoping to avoid actually ownng a car.

I've got her well trained - she already tuts at people that use the street for car storage, particularly those that damage verges and the like, and she doesn't want to become one of them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Us older buggers need to die off with our car dependency then. Baby boomers and gen xers that is.

Millenials as well as plenty of them driving around. Gen Z we’ll have to see.

Emanresu

The buzz word amoungst many young people here is Uber. Cars are ridiculously expensive due to high import duty on used, none on new.

Used Uber for the first time this month, getting bags/bikes to and from airports. Very simple even at 1:00 am. Was amazed there were Uber drivers around at that time in the morning. OH got her beauty sleep rather than a 120 mile round trip and I got home at a modest cost.

Gave up the second car about 6 years ago as it was costing £3k a year in tax, insurance and deprecation just to sit on a driveway. Use the savings to go on cycle tours instead.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
When I had driving lessons, it was £15/hour. I was insured on my parents car for an extra £80/year (sort of "fronting", when you could do that). Petrol was 79p/Litre. I think lots of younguns don't even mind paying £150/year for a bus pass, and tenners here and there for a taxi. Also probably they are waiting until over 25 when insurance might be a little less than a mortgage and/or when they have a stable job to pay for lessons. It still seems to be "the dream" to own a car, but cost vs earnings now is a more substantial factor. And of course, many might be snubbing car ownership to save up for a house

albion

Guru
Cars are still promoted as aspiration. Relatively little is being done to prevent us continuing to be car junkies.

When I was younger, all my graduating friends did not bother with cars, at least until they got a company car.
Priority was to manage student loan debt.
Demographics do change slightly, the student debt now becoming even bigger.

Jody

Stubborn git
Is it just me or do most kids these days seem to start off with a brand new or nearly new car? When I was young, you would dream of having a first car that was less than 10yrs old!

Like everything else, it's been drilled into them to chucky up on finance and parents also worried about reliability.

markemark

Über Member
So you break down..... what's the big deal? Are we not allowed to experience problems anymore?

You are allowed to but but people will compare the cost of increased reliability compared to the cost of recovery and fixing a fault.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My daughter passed and hasn't bothered to use the Aygo - we've taken her out in it to keep her practice in. She really didn't want to learn, but it is a life skill. She thinks 'mum and dads' taxi will be available all the time. Nope it won't if I'm off on my bike. My son is a petrol head - his car is prepped for track, so not so good as a daily, hence him taking the Aygo mostly.

Gunk

Guru
First thing both my kids did at 17, absolutely essential living in the countryside, they'd completely lack the independence they have if it wasn't for their cars.

That’s the big difference, we live in the suburbs, only 2 miles from the City centre with a bus stop right outside the house and easy cycling into town, so the kids just don’t need a car to get around. My son cycles everywhere, and my daughter now lives in London and uses public transport so the motivation to learn to drive is low.

Drago

Legendary Member
First thing both my kids did at 17, absolutely essential living in the countryside, they'd completely lack the independence they have if it wasn't for their cars.

Although I lived in the countryside and commuted to work by bike for decades, a distance of between 8 and 18 miles each way depending on my duty station at the time.

With everything being delivered to your door now that's even less of an argument.

If they find it convenient or whatever, then all power to them, that's their business, but making stuff up about it being 'essential' is unnecessary.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've a colleague that lives right on a number of public transport routes, and they don't use the car. Slightly different 10 miles out of town where PT isn't as good, and /or you don't work on a PT route. Son couldn't do his job without a car - needs it to get to the office and out to clients. Daughter at Uni so catches the train.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My personal experience is very different to OP.

- Four of my grandchildren are in the age range 18 - 30.
- Three of them learned to drive, and, passed test at 17/18 years of age.
- All three own, and drive cars.
- None of them ever had "bangers" nothing more than 4 years old (thanks to their parents initially, 2 are now working and funding themselves, one still at university)
- the fourth one is now regretting not learning to drive and talking about learning
- all four above are girls/women, if that is relevant
- the two remaining (male) grandchildren are too young (14 and 15), but, talk of learning and owning. Can't see them having "bangers".

It may depend on the availability or otherwise of public transport, our area is only moderately well served ie it is not London

Top Bottom