Is cycling bad for your bones?

• Thread starter another_dave_b
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

another_dave_b

Article in NY Times:
Cycling, unlike running or weight-lifting, causes little impact to skeletons. Bones react to external stresses by strengthening bone. Smathers and other researchers aren’t sure why cyclists have lower bone density. From their studies they have found that body mass is a central factor. In Smathers’ study, the lightest riders had the lowest bone density. In addition, many serious riders burn more calories in a day than they consume, an energy imbalance that is being studied to determine its impact on bone loss. And sweat could play a role. A rider can lose hundreds of milligrams of calcium an hour through sweat. Although the riders in both Smathers’ and the Colorado study were ingesting more than the recommended daily allowance of calcium for their age, they may still have had a deficit of the mineral, which is essential to bone-building. Some researchers theorize that calcium must be taken during exercise to be most effective. A 2004 laboratory study of cyclists who were given either tap water or calcium-enriched water during a 50-minute, stationary-bicycle ride found that the riders drinking the tap water had much higher levels of blood chemicals related to bone loss than did the riders swigging the calcium. Researchers suspect that drinking calcium-enriched waters or sports drinks during long, hot bike rides may help to stave off some bone loss.

Even more encouraging, most recreational cyclists probably don’t need to worry too much about their bones. “The studies to date have looked primarily at racers,” Smathers says. “That’s a very specialized demographic.

ASC1951

Guru
Hardly news - Chris Boardman was known to have evidence of osteoporosis a few years ago.

It's certainly not sensible to get all your exercise in the form of cycling.

col

Legendary Member
If you do nothing but cycling then yes your bones will weaken putting it simply. To keep your bones healthy and strong you need to do something that gives impact and vibration through your bones to trigger the strengthening process that make your bones repair and strengthen. Running being a good one, but not everyone likes running, myself included, so walking is a good alternative, also if you do some jumping now and then or even skipping.

jimboalee

Forget your Carbo-energy drinks.

Milk. "The White stuff" etc, etc.

I drink a couple of pints every day ( calorie counted, of course ).

And cheese. There's a source of calcium. Stilton is my favourite.

Bigtwin

another_dave_b said:

"From their studies they have found that body mass is a central factor. In Smathers’ study, the lightest riders had the lowest bone density.".

Frankly, I relaxed about it. Yet another ad for the hugely underestimated health-giving benefits of pies and beer.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I think you'll find most coaches (usually Australian - nobody objects to me taking a jibe at Australians? , I DO hope)) taking a very hard line against their clients doing stuff to combat low bone density (eg weight training) as it 'in their opinion' reduces their ability to be 'effin quick.. or so it appears to their mindset.

Jonathan M

Even some basic cross training of one form or another - running or gym work - is likely to provide wnough weight bearing exercise to mean for a recreational rider the isue of bone density won't arise.

Re Boardman, didn't he suffer a back injury at some point in his life that gave him longer term problems but also that very effective TT position?

andygates

Jonathan M said:
Even some basic cross training of one form or another - running or gym work - is likely to provide wnough weight bearing exercise to mean for a recreational rider the isue of bone density won't arise.

This is true.

Also, all the milk and cheese in the world won't help if you're not doing the weight-bearing exercise. Without that stimulus, it's wasted (though delicious).

Top Bottom