Is dizzyness on stopping normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been putting up with this, but was wondering if it was 'normal'.

Sometimes, if I have to stop for traffic lights or something, after going at a fair pace, I get a bit of headspin while waiting. Once rolling again i feel fine again.

I'd like to think its a normal reaction to a sudden stop while pushing hard.

MrB1obby

This certainly wouldn't be normal for me, after I've been pushing hard I just get dead legs for a while :thumbsup: ...I think someone with more knowledge will be able to say why though!

Blue

Legendary Member
To quote from 'Bicycling Medicine by Arnie Baker, M.D.':-

"We all get lightheaded occasionally. Getting up quickly, dehydration, hot weather, alcohol, and emotion all increase the frequency of lightheadedness and fainting. Lightheadedness may also be related to decreased pumping action of the heart. This may be caused by an irregular heartbeat or by decreased muscle action of the heart."

Does that help any?

siadwell

Guru
I happened across this yesterday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_down):

During aerobic exercise, peripheral veins, particularly those within muscle, dilate to accommodate the increased blood flow through exercising muscle. The skeletal-muscle pump assists in returning blood to the heart and maintaining cardiac output. A sudden cessation of strenuous exercise may cause blood to pool in peripheral dilated veins and the heart must beat faster and harder to adequately oxygenate the body and maintain blood pressure.​

So you may be feeling lightheaded due to low blood pressure resulting from stopping exercise suddenly. Just work a 5-10 minute cool-down period in before each set of traffic lights. Sorted.

OP
OP
G

guttertrash

Über Member
I seem to remember reading something similar somewhere, but others who i ride with don't have the problem, which was why asked. My blood pressure appears borderline high on a home blood pressure monitor, so going to keep an eye on it over the next month or so, then probably check with the docs. I have been trying to drink more water during the day too, in case its a dehydration thing.

Top Bottom