Is Garmin 540 Solar worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I think you need to buy the power cable on top of that?
Good spot. Another £27 for the official cable.
Was thinking of buying the explore 2 and just charging from powerbank
yes - good option. Brings down the price to £219.

Explore 2 - £219
Compared with:
Explore 2 Power - £297 (inc the official Garmin adapter cable for USB)
Garmin 540 - £349
Garmin 540 Solar - £399

The 530 is also £219 but is quite an old design compared to all the other options.

The power option might have some elegance, and convenience. Useful for Audaxers?
Also helps keep things running if the internal battery degrades with age or struggles in winter temps.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Back in ye olde days Garmins couldn't record and charge at the same time, and if they were able to chew gum and walk they probably couldn't have done them at the same time. But these days there's no such limitation, and batteries are much better than they used to be, so it's not such a pressing issue. And it's no real faff to stick your GPS on charge while you stop for coffee, or even charge it on the go with a powerbank in a handlebar bag (although some people worry about vibration damaging the USB port).

DogmaStu

I only know one person who bothered to get the solar version and he does ultra-long endurance - RAAM etc.

If you have charging facilities overnight, then even Touring isn't an issue. Even so, you can carry portable solar if Touring for a number of devices.

So...nope, nice idea, good tech evolution, but not really going to make much difference to most of us.

I went with the 1040, still lasts several days. I also have a Karoo 2 which is very nice too and that does need charging nearly every day!

OP
OP
32spokes

32spokes

Regular
I was skipping website reviews as I believed that all of them are affiliated with sellers, did not know for DCRainmaker though, thank you for recommendation on it.
So by them, Solar version gives us this:
Here’s one from a 3-hour sunny ride in Belgium (below), where I gained a total of 40 minutes.
another ride on a dark and overcast day here in Amsterdam, where after 1 hour and 40 minutes, I only gained a total of 2 minutes and 54 seconds:
This is not worth extra money for me.
Regarding new features, 540 has many. For me most important ones are dual-frequency GPS and ClimbPro Free-Ride mode, but still this is not worth the extra as 530 is really affordable now.

lazybloke

I was skipping website reviews as I believed that all of them are affiliated with sellers, did not know for DCRainmaker though, thank you for recommendation on it.
So by them, Solar version gives us this:

This is not worth extra money for me.
Regarding new features, 540 has many. For me most important ones are dual-frequency GPS and ClimbPro Free-Ride mode, but still this is not worth the extra as 530 is really affordable now.
The Explore 2 doesn't have all the performance features of the 530 and 540, but it does have climbpro.
And as said earlier, it's far more recent than the 530.

I decided to buy it from Sigma earlier, but never received the email for the signup discount. Would have been £209.
Can see it elsewhere for £250!

Chislenko

Veteran
Can't comment on the bike computer but I have a Garmin Solar watch which after each run / ride I leave it on the window sill and it is always ready for use next time. (Admittedly I only bought it in April so lack of sun in the winter may affect it)

The only plug in charge it has had so far was it's initial charge

lazybloke

Hi @32spokes , what did you decide?

I clicked & collected an Explore 2 on Sunday (£209 as per earlier post). Very pleased with it as an upgrade from my Edge 510.

Top Bottom