Is Garmin 540 Solar worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

32spokes

Regular
Currently I am looking to buy new cycling computer, choosing between Garmin Edge 530 and 540 Solar. So I am curios how much solar version does improves battery lifetime? Anyone has first-hand experience with it?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Following this as I'm interested in purchasing one too.

DC Rainmaker has indepth reviews of all things Garmin. Google his name and you'll find his reviews site.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
With my 510 needing yet another reset recently, and not offering maps, i'm considering an upgrade.

The Explore 2 Power is only £270 from Sigma. Tempting, and does everything i need, so probably no need to pay more for the 540 which is £350 (base model) or £399 (solar).

No sensors at those prices, but can use my old ones if i'm bothered.

I can really only think it would be useful for long tours in wild places. We all have electric at home ?
My solar fenix is more of a gimmick than anything else. i don't notice longer life in summer v wunter,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have the older Explore, and it's really good. Big screen, easy to read and you can get the battery to last longer (like all day) if you enable power save, then it just comes on when you tap it, or it's giving directions. Worked well over two days navigating with 8-9 hours in use, and a quick 30 minute power bank boost when I had lunch. The newer explore has a better battery and can be connected to a power bank on the road.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Don't know about the 540 Solar, but the 530 is worth the money in my opinion. Very good battery life - even when navigating & recording - and a decent sized screen. Way more functions than I'll ever need with the only drawback (for me) being some very cheap feeling buttons.

Hicky

Guru
I have a solar instinct 2, it’s great and the recharge means it lasts a while…sun strength dependant..I took it fully charged to Rhodes a month ago for a week and it barely lost power

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Short answer: no.
Slightly longer answer: Pretty much every review of the 540 Solar says that the solar charging simply isn't worth the extra.

I have a solar instinct 2, it’s great and the recharge means it lasts a while…sun strength dependant..I took it fully charged to Rhodes a month ago for a week and it barely lost power

I think Rhodes must be the best place to ride with one ! Good planning !

OP
OP
32spokes

32spokes

Regular
It will be 530 then. If it were like 50% better battery life I would go for 540 Solar, this way it is not worth the extra cash.

lazybloke

It will be 530 then. If it were like 50% better battery life I would go for 540 Solar, this way it is not worth the extra cash.
It wasn't so long ago that Garmin software was felt by many to be clunky/outdated. The newer models are deemed to be a huge improvement, so I'd look very carefully at this point in reviews in case you see something you don't like in a 530.

DCRainmaker reviews are very detailed. You can probably also find some long-term reviews and some side-by-side product comparisons.

Battery life - consider power-saving modes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
With my 510 needing yet another reset recently, and not offering maps, i'm considering an upgrade.

The Explore 2 Power is only £270 from Sigma. Tempting, and does everything i need, so probably no need to pay more for the 540 which is £350 (base model) or £399 (solar).

No sensors at those prices, but can use my old ones if i'm bothered.

I have the explore 2 power. Good big clear screen, does power, heart rate etc with relevant sensors. I have a tube tube bag sitting with power bank on boom of my recumbent. Basically unlimited battery life with the setup. Mainly been used for long audaxes but would work equally well touring.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As mentioned above DC Rainmaker is the guy. I watched a video about the x40 models and from memory (and therefore probably wrong) his thoughts on the 540 were
Generally good
Some misgivings about the user interface. They've revamped the UI and he wasn't sure that the buttons-only 540 was as good as the touchscreen models with the new UI.
Solar in general he was fairly unenthusiastic. It's OK, and it's good in bright conditions but battery life is improved so you don't need it normally.

But don't take my word ... have a search and watch it is my advice.

lazybloke

I have the explore 2 power. Good big clear screen, does power, heart rate etc with relevant sensors. I have a tube tube bag sitting with power bank on boom of my recumbent. Basically unlimited battery life with the setup. Mainly been used for long audaxes but would work equally well touring.

Yep, mentioned the ' explore 2 power' up thread, looks excellent. And was only about £255 if using sign-up offers and topcashback.

Edited to insert the correct quote. Sorry @Dogtrousers, didn't mean to quote you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom