Is it all in the mind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I've just been out for a run. For various reasons this is the first bit of exercise i've had in months.

As I only used to run 3/4 miles max when I was running I thought I would probably struggle to run a mile. Yet I've just ran 5 miles in 45ish mins.

My mind was completely on other things and my legs were on autopilot.
Did I do so well because I wasn't thinking about it / wasn't trying?

Is alot of it mind over matter? (Pushing through the wall etc).

jimboalee

You were probably running on adrenaline from ten minutes in.;)

gbb

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
I've just been out for a run. For various reasons this is the first bit of exercise i've had in months.

As I only used to run 3/4 miles max when I was running I thought I would probably struggle to run a mile. Yet I've just ran 5 miles in 45ish mins.

My mind was completely on other things and my legs were on autopilot.
Did I do so well because I wasn't thinking about it / wasn't trying?

Is alot of it mind over matter? (Pushing through the wall etc).

I found when i havnt been on the bike for a while, i expect to struggle. Then i find i seem to have a surplus of energy, and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be.
The same principle may apply...you are running with a full tank so's to speak. The body's fully recovered and raring to go.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I found that running was much more in the mind than cycling. Whereas you can trundle along on the bike with cleats on when knackered (albeit at a slow speed) for quite a while, your body when running will give out long before, having problems even thinking move left leg, move right leg. That is only relatively of course, I'm sure as a bad cyclist there is a lot in the mind stopping me going faster but I'm saying at the bottom end of ending rides/runs that running seems to suffer worst as there isn't a mechanism for keeping the legs going up and down like there is on a bike.

Top Bottom