Is it just me or what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doonhaemer

Being part of a big bike ride with fellow cyclists I haven't met before, and at the same time supporting a worthy cause, or even I cause I don't think is all that worthy, I understand. But paying money to ride my bike to provide a profit for a company or individual???? I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

No one is forcing you to do it. They are providing a service, such as a route, food, support, over and above what you would get by doing a ride on your own.

You pay your money, you make your choice. Or in this case not.

People and companies do stuff to make a profit, just like your lbs or the manufacturer of your bike. Not much point being in business otherwise.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've not done a sportive yet, but will cheerfully pay for food and support when I do. When I buy food normally I don't grumble about where the money goes*

*unless I have to shop at Tescos; they can do one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes you are missing something - a don't worry about it something.
As Matt say's, they are providing a service - for people that are happy to pay.
You are not...so what, Just get on your bike and do your own thing and worry about other things instead.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes you are missing something - a don't worry about it something.
As Matt say's, they are providing a service - for people that are happy to pay.
You are not...so what, Just get on your bike and do your own thing and worry about other things instead.

What he said, can't add any thing useful to this other than to say that I enjoy the Sportives, I like to see the other riders, and there gear, thier bling, or their cheap stuff. Considering what the companies do to organise these events I think they charge a nominal amount, of course you can go for a ride on your own, or even tag on to a sportive without paying, but that just wouldn't be cricket would it. Do it, don't do it, no ones bovvered.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Being part of a big bike ride with fellow cyclists I haven't met before, and at the same time supporting a worthy cause, or even I cause I don't think is all that worthy, I understand. But paying money to ride my bike to provide a profit for a company or individual???? I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

Well, if you are, I'm missing it too.

What he said, can't add any thing useful to this other than to say that I enjoy the Sportives, I like to see the other riders, and there gear, thier bling, or their cheap stuff. Considering what the companies do to organise these events I think they charge a nominal amount, of course you can go for a ride on your own, or even tag on to a sportive without paying, but that just wouldn't be cricket would it. Do it, don't do it, no ones bovvered.

Disagree that, sorry. Just compare Sportive prices with Audax:.
Tommorrow I shall be riding "Hudson's Henjoyable Hundred".... 3 loops of just over 30 - 40 km, with a stop at a rented hall at the end of each loop, at which there are toilets, lashings of hot tea, as much real food as anyone could possibly eat. Plenty of opportunity to chat with other riders as we stuff our faces, and compare gear if we are so minded. Care to guess how much that will cost ?

£8.00 !

OK, so there is no visual pollution of the countryside with signage, (but there is an impeccably researched and detailed route-sheet, and/or a GPX track if preferred)
And there is no sag-wagon in case of a mechanical, and my time won't be published (thankfully).... although there is a 7 hour time limit.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Well, if you are, I'm missing it too.

Disagree that, sorry. Just compare Sportive prices with Audax:.
Tommorrow I shall be riding "Hudson's Henjoyable Hundred".... 3 loops of just over 30 - 40 km, with a stop at a rented hall at the end of each loop, at which there are toilets, lashings of hot tea, as much real food as anyone could possibly eat. Plenty of opportunity to chat with other riders as we stuff our faces, and compare gear if we are so minded. Care to guess how much that will cost ?

£8.00 !

Looks great!

compo

Veteran
I did one Sportive and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although not a race or a time trial there is the self imposed incentive to record a decent time. However, what I call a decent time would be laughed at in a race or time trial so the Sportive is the nearest thing to a competitive (even though it isn't!) event someone like me is ever likely to achieve. And I got a medal and certificate at the end:hyper:

I have to say though some are very expensive for what is offered and I cannot see me doing another one.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I've done two sportives (and one charity farce) and enjoyed both but got very frustrated with the way people had no idea of how to ride in a group and could have cheerfully killed the small boy who smacked into my back wheel really hard at traffic lights. Doing my first audax tomorrow, the same one as PpPete, and it'll be interesting to see what the differences are. I wouldn't call myself an experienced cyclist by any stretch of the imagination but I'm a million times better than half the people who did the Pedal for Scotland ride in September.

jefmcg

Guru
Audax's are stupid cheap! I'm also doing the HHH tomorrow, and compare it to my trip to Windsor with a nearly-non-cycling friend. When we got there, we rewarded ourselves with pie + cake. ~£8 each, and they wouldn't even stamp a card to prove I'd got there! HHH, three feeds + everything else for the same price.

I don't think most charity rides are any better than Sportives: the costs are often hidden amongst the donations. If there isn't an explicit and separate entry fee, then your friends who think they are donating to charity are also contributing a lot to your nice day out.

Chris.IOW

Each to there own, personally I really like sportives, but can understand why people don't. I think the entry fee on the whole is reasonable and it's a great way to get out and ride bits of the country I don't know without having to work out a route and constantly check I am on the right route. I also enjoy the chance to ride in groups with others.

On the other hand, I wouldn't think of entering one on my local roads where I know where I am going and can probably find better routes than the organisers.

Peteaud

Veteran
Sprtive - pay, turn up ride, follow signs, get brought back to finish if something happens.

Audax, join, errrrrrrrrrrrrr, 200k ride not for me errrrrrrrrr ive googled it and still have no clue, although the bit about till receipts got me really confused.:blush:

Sportives tend to be excellently priced, and some of them for charity. The support you get is well worth it!

Compare that to a half iron man some of my colleagues have signed up for next year. A 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride and a 13 mile run. They asked me along and I was giving it serious consideration until they mentioned the price: £210!!! No way!

compo

Veteran
I followed the link in an earlier post in this thread to the Audax in Scotland on TV. I liked the comment by the chap who said that Sportives are for those who like to pretend they are racing and Audaxes are for those who like to pretend they are not.

asterix

Comrade Member
How about joining a club? One of my local ones does graded rides dependent on ability.

I've done a couple of club rides with them recently. The first wasn't too good because it was advertised as 'social' rather than by ability and turned into a training ride for some of their best riders! They just went faster and faster!! My fitness let me down, plus the fact that I ride a tourer so I dropped off the back at 15 miles and did my own thing.

The second attempt was much better. We had a leader who took us along a really great route and went to a good farm cafe at the half way point. Brilliant and all for nowt, except at the cafe! Enjoyed it much more than a sportive although it helped that we were all well matched for pace this time.

Hope to turn out again soon.

Top Bottom