Is it just me or ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
... do you often find builder-type people (i.e. people with knowledge) frustratingly unhelpful when asked for information??!!

For example, I asked someone in Wickes what the difference was between black and teracotta coloured plastic underground pipes.

"Ah", he said, "they're for carrying different waste in different places".

:thumbsup:

"I see", said I, "and can you tell me what waste and which places?".

"Well", said he, "yer brown one's for yer brown waste and yer black one's for yer black waste, innit!". And then looked at me as if I was stupid ...

Anyway, after a bit of research, I have discovered that the brown ones go underground and the black ones go above ground.

Why didn't he just say that in the first place?!!!!! :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Because he didn't know. Next daft question.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did he offer you the holes for the pipes or a left-handed screwdriver, by any chance?

Night Train

Maker of Things
XmisterIS said:
Anyway, after a bit of research, I have discovered that the brown ones go underground and the black ones go above ground.
Yup, that's right.

The brown/orange colour ones are generally thicker walled and can support being buried in the ground with the weight of spoil over the top of it. they should be fairly deep to avoid freezing up and to help the ground above spread any additional loading from traffic.

The black ones are for external use above ground and are thinner and UV resistant.

The grey ones are interior use as they deteriorate if exposed to UV.

White pipes just look better behind white bathroom fittings.

I'm not a builder, maybe that helps.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[rant]No - I'm just finding them really irritating ... they seem to think that pavements are for them to park on or totally block etc. This morning on the school run (a mere half mile), the builder had parked his vans on both pavements and forced all the parents to walk in the road. And one van on the corner blocking the view for the on-coming car that we were approaching the corner. Why don't van drivers realise how much they block the view or get in the way of other people [/rant over] Sorry - I was sufficiently annoyed this morning that I rang the police to complain about obstruction of the pavement but its a daily occurance by the same vans.

Top Bottom