Is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What if found the most taxing when I started cycling 18 months ago was building my butt up for longer distances. Its now quite happy to go to 50miles+. So make sure you get a good saddle for your 'seat'. :laugh:

I cycle the FRB regularly its not scary at all. It looks something like this

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSwfFNgxw8[/media]

Its a bit inconvenient just now though, they've closed the east cycle path (the side in the video) and you have to go by the west which involves backtracking down under the bridge at the south end.

Edit btw if you are considering taking the NCN1 over to Edinburgh its terribly overgrown. I took it for the first time in 4 years as I was on my wide tyred hybrid, I think it'll be another 4 years + before I'm back on it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
This gives me an idea for an Audax DIY.

The Forth Road Bridge, the Menai Bridge, the Severn Bridge, the Tamar Devonport Bridge, Tower Bridge, Ironbridge, the Tyne bridge and back over the Forth Road Bridge.

Isn't Ironbridge a bit of a detour where you've put it? and no Humber...

Once you've done the Forth, Scotmitchy, pop over to France and do the Pont de Normandie and or the Pont St Nazaire. I did both on holiday, my god the French like their bridges steep!

France 2010 018.jpg

France 2010 505.jpg

I'm sure you'll build up to your targets fine - it's the enthusiasm that matters to get you started.

Now, how about joining a few of us on the LEL in 2013?

http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/

;)

Benthedoon

20 miles is alot easier than you think, I was a long term smoker, overweight and hadn't done proper exercise in several years but a month after getting my new Orbea and 2 months after starting to cycle commute I did 15 suprisingly easily, I now do 20 regularly, this Sunday is the day I attempt 30!!
I love cycling now, I didn't think I'd enjoy an hour in the saddle but I can't get enough.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
....ok. Now I'm interested. How many miles, folks?

Quick play on my mapping software suggests a bit over 1300 miles (2100km) for the lot with a little over 31km of height gain. :biggrin:

I also added in the Runcorn Jubilee bridge and the Tees Transporter bridge in Middlesborough as they were sort of on the way

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

thanks for all your thoughts guys, this time next week I may even have the bike!

kewb

you will do 39 miles without any trouble ,

set a pace you can maintain and take advantage of downhills to make good time dont try and race there you will put stress on your body and find the return journey miserable if youve a speedo or cycle computer id settle for a speed average of 12.5 overall but would be happy if over 10 mph given experience ,

that might sound sloooow but taking advantage of downhill sections will boost it time wise without destroying your knees .

good luck .

Top Bottom