Is it normal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
For a tadpole trikes near side tyre to wear a bit more than offside?
Not a huge amount, but just noticeable.

Is it because of the road camber?:ohmy:

Maybe I'll star rotating them?

earlestownflya

must be the camber

In a perfect world there should not be a lot of difference in the wear pattern on either front tyre .
Excessive wear of one tyre can be :

a Twisted or out of alignment frame ( worst case )
b Front wheel alignment set incorrectly ( the most common )
c pushing into left or right hand bends fast than the other .
d different tyre pressures

Toe in should realistically be 0 degrees but often they are set with toe in or out , Try measuring the track with the steering in the straight ahead position at the front and rear of the rims at hub height .

regards emma

stuee147

like @voyager says theres lots of resons my dad used to drive the fire engings round stevenage years ago and he always said the near side tyres would wear 3x quicker than the offside due to all the rounderbouts and if you goto stevenage you would know what he means do you do way more left turns than right

Drago

Legendary Member
RWD, to maintain neutral steering and stability a fraction of toe out is required. How much depends on camber, castor and wheelbase. There is a formula for calculation such things(my bro in law is a chassis development engineer for Jag and delights in such things) but I'd be buggered if I knew what it was.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
like @voyager says theres lots of resons my dad used to drive the fire engings round stevenage years ago and he always said the near side tyres would wear 3x quicker than the offside due to all the rounderbouts and if you goto stevenage you would know what he means do you do way more left turns than right

I think this roundabouts bit doesn't help! I went out today on a jaunt up the mendip said then tagged my usual evening route on the end so I could have a look at the camber, number of roundabouts etc...

For most of the route, as its in the lanes there is a pretty pronounced camber, which prob doesn't help, but then thinking about it there are several roundabouts I do give it the beans around as they are dead quiet at night. This is probably it tbh, I'm only talking about the moulding rubber line and the little hairs rubbing off more quickly not bald patches.

I checked the toe and it has the 1/16" toe in at the hub height, no worries there.

Tbh, I think I just like a worry :laugh:

Cheers you lot.

Top Bottom