Is it possible to get a passable full-sus frame (no forks) for ~£250?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't want or need top spec, just something that will perform okay.

If I didn't have a pile of parts and some half-decent wheels I'd be going down the Rockrider route...I do have a useable hardtail frame to build on but I do quite fancy having full sus so long as it isn't total sh**e

I need new forks ayway, so am prepared to buy those (so the £250 doesn't include forks)

Any suggestions?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Assuming we are talking about new given decent rear shocks aren't cheap I suspect it is difficult, and given the value of bikes is often better than parts (especially since you don't have the forks already) you would probably be better off buying a discounted bike and sell your pile of parts.

spence

Über Member
Short answer is no. 2nd hand will give you the frame if you take your time looking and luck in however you'll need to budget for a shock service (£80+) and probably a new set of bearings/pivots/bushes (£75+ for a full rebuild kit from Turner).

Any mates getting rid?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think a 'passable' hardtail frame would cost £250, so - no! I'd rather have a good hardtail, than an iffy full-sus MTB, so that's why I bought an 853 Merlin Rock Lobster 11 years ago. It is still doing the job now, and I've had no major issues with it despite sometimes hammering it with 16 stone of me astride it over some brutal Pennine bridleways! :whistle:

rollinstok

I think a 'passable' hardtail frame would cost £250, so - no! I'd rather have a good hardtail, than an iffy full-sus MTB, so that's why I bought an 853 Merlin Rock Lobster 11 years ago. It is still doing the job now, and I've had no major issues with it despite sometimes hammering it with 16 stone of me astride it over some brutal Pennine bridleways! :whistle:

spot on.. I remember my old Merlin Malt 3 with a full XT kit..took me up and down mountain and dale no bother, cracking bike.

Top Bottom