?? Is it possible to paint over chrome ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The front forks of my bike are chromed Reynolds 531, the problem is that the chrome is more than somewhat pitted in places with rust, not large areas, almost like spots.

I was wondering if it would be ok to rub the entire forks down, treat whatever rust I come across, then put on a suitable undercoat before top coating etc., or should I keep my eyes open for a good condition set of 531 forks that I can paint?

midlife

Guru
I seem to think there is a special self etching primer for chrome plate?

Before you start attacking the chrome you may find that some of the rust will come off leaving the chrome as it was originally.
Try a good rust remover first .
Self etching primer should work for painting as it contains an acid .

I am utterly gobsmacked how just 15 mins spent with some wire wool and silver foil has completely changed the appearance of the forks, so a very great and enormous thanks to you @netman for pointing me in the right direction as I now have a resplendent set of forks with not a patch of rust in sight!!
Yeah, but the absence of rust is only temporary. That fork (singular) is made from cromoly steel, coated in copper and then coated in chrome. A bit of scouring on top only removes the visible rust that seeped to the top of the three layers. The damage is all underneath and will come up sooner rather than later. Rust is self-energising, so unless it was removed to bare steel, it will "grow" again.

However, for now, admire the nice fork.

netman

Veteran
I am utterly gobsmacked how just 15 mins spent with some wire wool and silver foil has completely changed the appearance of the forks, so a very great and enormous thanks to you @netman for pointing me in the right direction as I now have a resplendent set of forks with not a patch of rust in sight!!

Now you need to keep it sealed or, as Yellow Saddle says, it'll come back... clear coat or regular applications of a good quality car wax will do the trick!

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Now you need to keep it sealed or, as Yellow Saddle says, it'll come back... clear coat or regular applications of a good quality car wax will do the trick!

Already done as I was in the process of waxing my classic car!!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Painting over chrome is easy. It must be thoroughly flatted down first (abrasive paper) then primed with acid etch primer. Buy a fresh can from somewhere with a high turnover, as it goes off in the can after a while. Then paint over as normal.

Top Bottom