Is it possible to tour with just a backpack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I am just wondering if this might be practical. I am planning a tour of the UK next summer and want to go as light as possible. I would also have rear rack so could put something on there and maybe a handlebar bag. Also any recomendations regarding 1/2 person lightweight tent. And what would be the minimum for cooking gear?

snorri

Legendary Member
If you plan to tour with a tent and cooking gear, I would suggest panniers are the way to go, perhaps a saddlebag would be sufficient if you are careful to minimise luggage, but not a backpack which would soon become uncomfortable particularly in warmer weather.
Regarding tents, Terra Nova make good lightweight ones, for example the LaserLite.
As for cooking, it depends on how much cooking you want to do. Some people just make their own light breakfast and have a main meal out, others like to be totally independent.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Possible- almost certainly, but my first thought was- if you are going to have a rear rack and a handlebar bag why carry anything on your back? stashing stuff on your bike is generally more comfortable than sticking it on your back.

There's plenty of stuff on the web about lightweight cycle camping- take a browse and see which approaches appeal to you- there's no one true way (I once did a short off-road tour on my 'cross bike with just a backpack- I was hostelling so I didn't have much gear, it worked fine for that).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes it is possible and yes I would recommend it.

I would use panniers and not even bother with a backpack. Forget the cooking gear and eat out. Take waterproofs because even in the summer the favourite UK weather is rain.

Steve

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. I can now see that putting it in panniers would a much better idea. Better the weight lower down which would be more comfortable. I will check out the web sites. Thanks to all again. Much appreciated.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No point in letting your back take the strain when the bike can do it for you. If you insisted on a back pack / ruck sack, Deuter do one that sits off the back so preventing a sweaty back.

This guy might be able to help

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/
Thanks for the link! I had forgotten about that site. He takes "lightweight" pretty seriously. I wasn't averse to chopping the handle off my toothbrush in my mountain walking days, but that dude is in a completely different league.:thumbsup:

willem

Über Member
As others have said, forget about cycling with a backpack. (Ultra)light camping luggage would realistically be in the range 10-15 kg. 15 kg gets you a comfortable outfit. If you spend more you can reduce the weight to something like 13 kg. 10 kg is possible, but assumes that you buy expensive ultralight stuff, and also that you give up quite a bit of comfort. 10 kg would fit in a 24 litre Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag plus a large handlebar bag like a 12 litre Gillles Berthoud. Such a heavily loaded saddle bag needs a sturdy support like the Nitto R10 rack (or a regular pannier rack). If you want to do a trip like this on something like a road bike, this is the way to go.
If you have a touring bike you can take a bit more, and if you do, rear panniers and a handle bar bag are the way to go. Pacific Outdoor/Hyalite ltw small panniers http://hyaliteequipment.com/bike-gear/view/ltw-small-pannier-bike are light (just over 1 kg the set) and with 36 litres big enough. Ortlieb bags are probably sturdier, a bit larger, at 40 litres, but also considerably heavier (1900 grams, but the cheaper City Line about 1500 gram). Put the wet and dirty tent on top of the rack (no need to have it inside a bag).
The trick is to keep volume down. The best area to do so is with the sleeping kit. A down bag packs to the smallest size, and if you have the money, PHD are the brand to look into (esp their special sales offers). Polish brand Cumulus or British Alpkit are more affordable offerings. Mattresses are another area where you can reduce pack size significantly. Self inflating mattresses as a type have been overtaken by modern insulated air mattresses. The Thermarest Neoair Allseason is the leading model for north western European conditions. The Exped synmat basic is a slightly heavier and more voluminous budget alternative. For really cold weather the Exped Downmat is the one to get.
Stoves. This is as much about fuel availability as anything else. So in the third world (or in arctic conditions where nothing else works) a multifuel stove is the thing to get. But they are expensive, heavy, and fiddly. Canister gas stoves are convenient, cheap and light, but the (expensive) gas is sometimes hard to get. The bad news is also that there are two standards for valved canisters: the Lindall Valve screw type and the Camping Gaz type bayonet connection. In France, the latter is almost the only kind you can get, but elsewhere it is the other way around. Primus do a special (sometimes hard to get) Duo version of their Express canister top stove that will take both kinds. There are also various adapters but these obviously add bulk and weight. My personal preference is for a meth stove, and the Trangia 27 UL HA in particular.. This is marginally heavier, but very convenient in use, particularly in windy weather because no other stove has as good a windscreen. The Clikstand and the Caldera Cone are ultralight meth stoves, but more suitable for heating up ready made meals than for cooking real food.
Tents. Ultralight solo tents like the Terra Nova Laser Competition or the Vaude Power Lizard are around the 1 kg mark, and are what you should choose if you opt for the 10 kg target. The Wildcountry Zephyros 2 Lite 2013 will be a cheaper and almost as light alternative. For really bad weather the superb but expensive Hilleberg Akto is the one to take. MSR also make a few nice and light tents, but avoid the US style models with an all mesh inner tent (they are for hot and muggy weather). If you don't mind a bit more weight, the 1.7 kg Hilleberg Anjan 2 is superbly made, palatial, and expensive.
So make up your mind if you want to use a saddle bag or panniers. If you go for a saddlebag, tick all the ultralight boxes when you are choosing gear. If you are taking a road bike, this would be the best way to proceed. If you care for a bit more comfort, you need a somewhat sturdier bike that can take wider tyres and is a bit more stable. If you want comfort, this is the way to proceed. Comfortwise, there is vast difference between a 10 kg outfit and a 13-15 kg outfit. Financially, a 15 kg outfit is possible without breaking the bank too much.
Enjoy,
Willem

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks willem, some useful advice there. I like the idea of the meths stove. Can you buy the Tangria in the UK? After looking at the ultralightcycling site I am thinking of taking a backback or stuffsack and mounting it on the rear rack as well as a handlebar bag of some sort.

willem

Über Member
Yes the Trangia is available in the UK. Get the UL version. Sometimes special cheap offers are for the heavier version - avoid that. I like the Hard Anodized version because it is so much easier to clean, and also semi non stick. The real non stick is heavier, wears out, but is also cheaper. A practical mix could be to get one with the frying pan in proper non stick, and the rest in Hard Anodized. If the frying pan is worn out after a decade, buy a new one (they are available separately). I have the fuel in a Trangia fuel bottle (do not use aluminium for meths) in a Bikebuddy cage underneath the downtube of my bike's frame. Another thing that you could take out of your luggage is the tent poles. You can often strap them to your bike's frame.
Of course, you could strap a rucksack on a rack. But remember, something like 35 litre for rucksack and handle bar bag would be the very minimum. You really do not want to imitate this ultralight guy. What kind of bike will you use, and what is the budget? See also: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22574&p=184678&hilit=longflap+andrew_s#p184678
Willem

Top Bottom