Is it possible to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Probably... why don't you try it though to find out for sure? Don't forget to video it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Possibly, if you are going around a bend and snatch the front brake on. If you have little bike handling skills the rear wheel could come around and possibly jackknife, but it would be a rare event.

Yes I think you could.
I've done it when pushing a bike+trailer at low speed so would presume that it could happen whilst riding. It would have to be a pretty bad piece of riding though!

S

OP
OP
LordoftheTeapot
bonj said:
ever heard of camelbak?

No

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I don't personally believe you could.

Trucks jacknife when the rear wheels lock up and the trailer slides, faster than the tractor unit.
So, unless you had brakes on your trailer, I don't think you could.

JMO obviously :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I think that you could if your back wheel went into a skid if you were doing a decent speed. But i dont think it would jack-knife because there wouldnt be enough wieght in the trailor to be able to push the back end of the bike around.
But it says on them that they shouldnt go faster then 10mph, how boring is that. What happens if you go faster, and would they snake like a caravan?

longers

Legendary Member
I've rolled my trailer. I was doing slightly more than the prescribed 10mph and hit the mother of all potholes. Bad riding on my part and I was lucky I was on the way to the shops not from.

OP
OP
LordoftheTeapot
A while back I had finished shopping in Sainsbury's and had a full load on my Bike Hod. I came out of a side street turning right across a busy city centre road when the trailer seperated from the bike right in the middle of the lane! I carmly lent the cycle on a lamp post, walked over to the trailer and calmly walked back with it to the cycle. Luckly enough it didn't tip over.

I had not put the locking pin through the attachment

Jack-knifing happens to lorries when the rear wheels of the towing vehicle lock up and the inertia of the trailer pushes the tractor unit from behind, forcing it sideways and around. A bicycle, being a single track vehicle (and assuming that there is enough weight in the trailer to overcome the weight of the rider) would tip over at approaching 90 degrees rather than jack-knife. A tricycle could be made to jack-knife given enough trailer weight and good enough rear brakes.

I used to tow a Cannondale Bugger (yes Bugger) which attached to the seat post. It wasnt unusual to have the weight of my drunken friend push the back wheel of my bike up in the air under hard braking, a kind of vertical jack-knife if you will.

Top Bottom