Is it rude?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
... to latch onto another rider who's going a nice speed, and simply draft him for about 4 miles? :?:

We both stopped at lights and exchanged a couple of words (mostly about his ability to track stand, and a POB going through on red only to nearly hit a car crossing the junction) but other than that we were simply two blokes on road bikes passing other cyclists en-route to (I'm assuming) our respective places of work.

I *could* have passed him, but didn't want to be seen as racing (I'd never do such a thing! :thumbsup: )

Was I very rude?

If I was, and that was you (blue AG2R clothing, unsure what bike), then I apologise profusely! :?::thumbsup:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If he didn't try and speed up to throw you off, then he probably didn't mind. Personally if there is someone drafting me and I get fed up with it, I just slow down until they go passed me, then draft then...

Keith Oates

Janner
If someone wants to draft me then I don't mind, but if (as Hairy Jock has said) there are signs of aggravation, give it a rest and either pass him or drop back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No-one ever drafts me, which probably means one of the following -

a) I'm going too fast for them to keep up

:biggrin: I'm going so slowly, they would fall off if they tried

c) No-one wants to go where I'm going

;)

Cab

Personally I don't like having someone draft me unless I know them, and know I can trust them and their brakes.

Tynan

Veteran
I had a go at drafting last week, as close as I dared and it seemed dicey, you can't see too well what's ahead and your braking distance is about nil

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I probably wasn't completely effectively drafting as there was about a bike length between us, but it seemed to make it easier. ;)

I would be a little concerned at going at 'TdF' drafting distances, what with all the potholes etc. to avoid, so I kept a little back from him.

Obviously I should also have said it was in Manchester (from Moss Road in Stretford right through to the other side of the weird Hulme Bridge) so the guy (if he's on here) would have an inkling it was him in front of me (rather than having to assume he's the only chap wearing such kit).

Silly Sharky! :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I dared closer, I reckon I'd have been a bout a foot behind, I was struggling to keep up though, only that close did I really feel a benefit

the bloke that drafted me the following day was real close, I could watch his shadow alongside me

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Is it rude... to latch onto another rider who's going a nice speed, and simply draft him for about 4 miles? :biggrin:

If I was, then I apologise profusely! :biggrin:;)

you'v answered your own question there!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the drafting effect only works at about >20kph anyway. rather worryingly, when getting taught to ride in a line around manchester velodrome, the advice was to watch the arse of the rider in front!

so i suppose it is rude then…

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
alecstilleyedye said:
the drafting effect only works at about >20kph anyway. rather worryingly, when getting taught to ride in a line around manchester velodrome, the advice was to watch the arse of the rider in front!

so i suppose it is rude then…

Ah, it depends on who is in front;)

Top Bottom