is it worth putting new rims on a wheelset ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
From Wikipedia;-
'Carbon fibers are usually combined with other materials to form a composite. For example, when permeated with a plastic resin and baked, it forms carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer (often referred to as carbon fiber.'
Technically any 'cabon fibre' bicycle is made using a composite plastic resin. It's a similar thing in the plumbing world where the standard 'acrylic' bath is actually a made using acrylic resin reinforced with glass fibres underneath so, realy it's a GRP bath.

niiice! but then I am bias toward a Boardman ^_^

Technically a epoxy resin, which I guess you could call a polymer IE a plastic?

TK421

Casual Extremist
Technically a epoxy resin, which I guess you could call a polymer IE a plastic?
Wikipedia;-
Plastics are a wide range of synthetic or semi-synthetic materials that use polymers as a main ingredient. Their plasticity makes it possible for plastics to be moulded, extruded or pressed into solid objects of various shapes.

The truth is 'plastic' is a very generic term for a whole host of substances, including all the different resins a polymers. I build scale model aircraft kits which are made with injection moulded Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS plastic), but are still referred to as 'plastic'.

davidphilips

Veteran
Well thats me told off, for years i have been joking with club members that most of there bike frames are made out of soot, will have to start and tell them there are expensive plastic now?

TK421

Casual Extremist
Well thats me told off, for years i have been joking with club members that most of there bike frames are made out of soot, will have to start and tell them there are expensive plastic now?
Sorry for leaving you feeling chastised.
In broad terms you could say that they are riding a soot reinforced plastic bicycle if you wish to jest with your fellow club members.

stephec

Legendary Member
And.... 11 years old bike, positively new compared to my two 30 year old ones. The only people faster than me are actually 'faster' than me. It's nothing to do with the bike.

It's not about the bike.

Now who was it said that, hmm? 🤔😂

Top Bottom