is it worth putting new rims on a wheelset ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Michelin Pro3 race for the winter. Hmmm !

thats purely a summer bike, using rubino pros on the ribble rebuild

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
thats purely a summer bike, using rubino pros on the ribble rebuild

Fine, wouldn't worry about it. I'm on 25mm Zaffiros on both bikes - nice and tough. Pro3's are great tyres but summer really. You've still got a plastic bike, and that's 'modern' by my standards. Still on Indexed down tube shifters here.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ok not worth it as I thought, I was just musing about it. Everyone I ride with are running 28-32 width these days 🙄 I'm running 25 s but can't afford a new bike so I turn up on an 11 year old bike with rims and they are on all singing and dancing carbon disc models that are lighter and more aero

I usually run upto 40mm on my road bike, great ride comfort, all terrain G Ones. Then again I did choose a frame that could go upto 50mm tyres, so I just swap wheels for different needs

davidphilips

Veteran
Just replace the rims when worn any time sooner is just a waste of money, There was one cyclist on a club run with me recently with a new bike equipped with aero wheels am sure the aero bike and wheels must have helped him a bit but only my view but am convinced as long as i just bend my elbows a few more degrees every time i take my turn at the front then i am every bit as aero as my club mate on his new bike.

Your bike looks clean and well maintained and only my view but unless you are on a solo time trail or in a high level race that bikes more than good enough for any club run that i have ever been on.

Velochris

Über Member
If you are intending using the existing spokes you will have to find a rim with the same effective rim diameter as your existing rims.

Some 25mm tyres on 19mm inner rims will inflate to 28mm wide it so. Check your frame has the clearances to accommodate.

davidphilips

Veteran
Volvo made plastic bikes in the past, also think theres still some bikes made from plastic but perhaps not the best material to make a bike with?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1611786944440.jpg
    FB_IMG_1611786944440.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 4

TK421

Casual Extremist
Don't worry about it. I turn up to club runs on a shiny new steel bike with 25mm tyres. It sings and dances just as well any of the plastic ones.
Who makes plastic bikes?
From Wikipedia;-
'Carbon fibers are usually combined with other materials to form a composite. For example, when permeated with a plastic resin and baked, it forms carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer (often referred to as carbon fiber.)'
Technically any 'cabon fibre' bicycle is made using a composite plastic resin. It's a similar thing in the plumbing world where the standard 'acrylic' bath is actually a made using acrylic resin reinforced with glass fibres underneath so, realy it's a GRP bath.
niiice! but then I am bias toward a Boardman ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom