Is it worth upgrading winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cashy293

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded my 1st road bike from a specialized allez sport 2013 with Sora group set to a Focus Cayo Evo 2 with the ultegra group set.

The difference between the group sets is obviously huge and going back to using the Sora's when the weather isn't great isn't exactly appealing. I do quite like the frame on the allez, its not as good as the focus but is fine for a winter bike.

I am considering putting full 105s onto the allez which can be found for around £270. I am deliberating whether it will be worth it as I guess I can sell the allez as it is now for around £300 and if I spend a further £270 on it, I guess I can buy brand new bike with 105s for a couple of hundred more.

Should I upgrade or buy new as I have seen a 2014 Giant defy can be picked up for around £650??

jack smith

Veteran
Your choice really, the new 11 speed 105 might mean you will need new wheels aswell whch would be a minimum of £80 for new shimano rs11's the allez is a lovley frame so if your happy with it go for it but if a ne wbike is more appealing then go for that, it will probably work out the same

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Mmm...it's more than likely the frame, etc which has caused such a massive difference and not the group set - they are two completely different bikes - your new & old, I mean. Defy will feel different as well. If the seller will let you have a go, then have a go and make a decision based on that, but I wouldn't bother with upgrading the group set unless it's all worn out or you're looking for more gears.

OP
OP
cashy293

cashy293

Your choice really, the new 11 speed 105 might mean you will need new wheels aswell whch would be a minimum of £80 for new shimano rs11's the allez is a lovley frame so if your happy with it go for it but if a ne wbike is more appealing then go for that, it will probably work out the same

I've put the fulcrum 6.5s that came with the focus on the allez and although they are not as good as the Fulcrum Quattro's that I now have on my Focus they are fine for the time being so wont need wheels for a while.

Buying a whole new bike may result in a marriage P45 :-(

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Keep the Sora.
Winter use - especially if commuting regularly is very hard on components.
Salt spray and road muck can eat stuff away very quickly and it's much cheaper to let the low end stuff take a beating.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's up to you. Set up and maintained properly Sora works very slickly, so I don't know why in some quarters people get snobbish about it. If its the Sora brifters with the little thumb button for down changes they're excellent for commuting in traffic where you might spend a lot of time up on the hoods.

Otherwise, if you want a fraction less weight and a more expensive cosmetic finish - that won't be so robust in wet road salty weather - then upgrade away.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just because its the winter bike, doesnt mean it cant be upgraded.

Buy what your heart desires and enjoy it all the more, as its got on it what you want

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I bought a Focus Cayo 2 Di2 as a best road bike and relegated my Giant Defy 5 to a Winter bike. The Defy is Claris which is a bit of a difference to Ultegra Di2!
However..... when I go back to the Defy, I'm constantly surprised at just how good a bike it is - considering that it cost less than £500.
Saying that, the Cayo is the tool of choice every time when the weather is half decent.

Top Bottom