Is it worth waiting for the January sales to

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wally

Über Member
buy a new bike, or is January a good time for bike sales because of people's resolutions to get fit?

Llama

Veteran
edinburgh bike co op have a great jan sale - i got a bike from them and saved £100

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Now is a good time to buy a bike as the 2010 models will be coming out so the previous models 2009 and 2008 will be reduced in price to try and shift stock.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ChrisKH said:
Don't wait. You could be dead in January.

is that you in your happy place Chris?

If you have your heart set on a certain bike then look for a 2009 model on sale now. Waiting til Jan/Feb will get better deals but choice will be more limited. There are still deals going on 08 and 07 bikes if you look around.

ChrisKH

Guru
MacB said:
is that you in your happy place Chris?

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero MacB, Carpe Diem. It's me being positive and mortal, like. Which is about as happy as I get.

g00se

Veteran

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is very little 2009 stock left because importers under-ordered thinking it would be a bad year, yet sales were better than ever. Most stock has been sold now.

Carbon

Veteran
There are a lot of great deals at the moment on 2009 models as retailers start to offload them ready for the 2010 ranges coming in, the best thing about buying now is that you get a good choice of sizes etc. if you wait till January you might well end up getting the left overs and struggle to get the size you want, the most common ones always sell out fast...

Take a look at Wiggle for some great deals at the moment e.g.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_2009/5360037591/

Good luck.

alp1950

Do bike shops do genuine January sales?

Not certain about the economics of bike selling but I would guess might go something like this:
-kids bikes: sales heavily biased to Christmas. Guess you might pick up a bargain kid's bike in January
-adult bikes: less obviously skewed towards Christmas. Probably kept fairly steady around year, esp. with C2W schemes, but I would guess peak in sales would occur in Spring. Little incentive for shops to offer a sale in January.

Next year's models start coming in around September-October. You can find some deals on this year's remaining stock at present, but would be surprised whether there will be much left by January.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Wally said:
buy a new bike, or is January a good time for bike sales because of people's resolutions to get fit?

I think you will find you have just missed the best sales bargains, most bike shop have sales at the start of September just ahead of the next years models arriving (in the shops now)...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
HJ said:
I think you will find you have just missed the best sales bargains, most bike shop have sales at the start of September just ahead of the next years models arriving (in the shops now)...

possibly but Jan and Feb can turn up some interesting stuff. I bought my 08 Giant around this time from an online shop. Certain aspects of it led my LBS to conclude that it was non-UK, but still European, stock.

Top Bottom