Is Meths fuel ok on ferry to Spain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveParry

Guru
I'm thinking of catching the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander with my bike for a cycle tour of Spain next week... I was going to fill up my new 500ml plastic Trangia fuel bottle with Meths and store it externally in the bottom cage of the bike. Would this be taken off me at Portsmouth? If so perhaps I should take it empty unused; so no trace of fuel would be detected. I could then try to take a 1 litre bottle of Bio-ethanol fuel separately in a pannier. Though I suspect the fuel bottle would be confiscated.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Brittany Ferries don't allow meths, turps, white spirit etc I've just checked as we are taking some emulsion paint out for a friend. Gas cylinder (max 3 x15kg) are allowed as long as secured and away from heat source - but if u don't have a gas burner then that's no help. You can carry up to 5l of petrol or diesel but only in an approved container.

jay clock

Massive member
Brittany Ferries don't allow meths, turps, white spirit etc I've just checked as we are taking some emulsion paint out for a friend. Gas cylinder (max 3 x15kg) are allowed as long as secured and away from heat source - but if u don't have a gas burner then that's no help. You can carry up to 5l of petrol or diesel but only in an approved container.
I find 45kg of gas canisters trapped to my touring bike a real challenge

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are they still X raying random panniers on touring cyclists?

Never been checked either to or from the UK.

Went out in June from Portsmouth - they asked the questions - knifes, fuel etc and X rayed a single pannier from every cyclist going out

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You must have that look about you ;)

Yep, some people get all the attention. I've not had my panniers scanned, but I have been stopped a couple of times (by the Border Agency) on returning to the UK to be asked about my jollies. Where I went, who with, how long for.

Top Bottom