Is my chain splitter rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
41UN-7UsfzL._SY300_.jpg

I'm using a chainsplitter that looks very like the above one. I'm not sure if my chain link is particularly stuck but it seems almost impossible to get enough torque to get the pin out. The shape of the tool meant that I could hold it with an adjustable spanner and then hit the other arm with a hammer until I got it to turn. On the way back in I had to resort to using the claw end of the hammer to twist the handle (still holding with adjustable spanner). Is this par for the course, or is there a certain knack to this? I'm sure the last chain I joined was no problem at all!

Sharky

Guru
The tool looks OK to me. Did the chain fit snugly into the tool. Some of the cheaper ones will only work with 1/8th or 3/32nd chains.

Ciar

Veteran
I bought the same identical tool from Evans, one of their own brand and used it this weekend did the job perfectly in all honesty.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have used a similar tool many times with no problems, usually, like you, I hold it with a pair of pliers, turn the leaver holding it with a tea towel for extra grip.
Then I use a quick link to rejoin.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had an Aldi splitter which looked similar, but was rubbish - the pin snapped under thumb pressure.

The fact that the OP's tool has taken the abuse he's given it means it is not rubbish.

Hard to tell the quality of any tool just by looking, but this Park Tools one did the job for me, rather for @StuAff's bike, at 3am on the Isle of Wight.

My hamfisted use of the tool was a good test of it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CIyQ88nr5cgCFQSVGwodJqUJ8w&gclsrc=aw.ds

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Shimano chains can be extremely difficult to split (except when riding up a hill out of the saddle!) compared with KMC or other makes.
The difficulty in electively splitting them does not translate into them being more robust in use.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's the same one I have and find it easy enough to use. Just need to give the initial couple of turns some welly.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Yes I have one of these too. It's a great big hefty brute of a chain tool - not the one to take out on the road though.

Thank you - that looks like a beauty. I'm never convinced the pin is in properly in these chains! Maybe I will get a quick link!

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
If you get the chain slightly misaligned on the tool, there's nowhere for the rivet to go, which makes the handle very hard to turn. Was that what happened?
I'm fairly sure it was alligned. I had my girlfriend shining a torch on it and it looked like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom