Is my front shifter broken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adrian Z

My front derailleurs only change to two out the three positions. There isn't a problem with limiting screws on the derailleur as far as I can see and by varying the cable tightness I can select which two rings are selectable. (I.e. I can choose the two inner rings or the two outer rings).

It seems that the shifter is doesn't want to move to more than two positions. I am really unsure as to how such devices work, but even with the cable disconnected, I can click the shifter only into two positions and not into a third. Does it need replacing?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Svendo

Guru
I've found that downloading the tech doc (for Shimano, I presume SRAM and Campag. have similar info online) and restarting the setup is the best way to get misbehaving front derailluers back working properly. (I find them a darker art than rear derailleurs when they go wonky, all twisting cable adjusters and not making any difference or sense! Rears it's just twist right to shift down better, left to shift up better.)
Did it ever work all three rings? If not it seems it might be a double shifter in which case it'll never do all three rings. I've never had a triple but I'm sure someone will be along to advise on how to tell if it's a double shifter or a broken triple shifter.

festival

Über Member
A 3 speed shifter will have 2 clicks if you have only one, somethings wrong, it has been possible to take them apart and fix them but depends on the model and damage. Its rare they break so i would suggest your LBS for a service and wait for their report.

lpretro1

Sometimes shifters get all gunged up. Remove the cable completely and see how many clicks you are getting. If you spray a load of GT85 or similar (defo not WD40) into the shifter and then click back and forth a few times that can be enough of free it up again. This is often sufficient to get it working again. You can take them apart but they can also be a mare to get back together as there are little ratchets and springs which have to be in the right order/place to work. As you open them up these have a tendency to fall out before you see where everything fits!

Top Bottom