Is my Microshifter dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ionlad

I own a Btwin Triban 500, I've owned it secondhand for 2 years and the front derailleurs Microshifter is currently skipping down from 3rd to 1st every time.

I've taken apart the front derailleurs shifter, tested it under all tensions and noticed that the metal piece skips a gear without fail, looks worn down. Is this replaceable?

Any help would be appreciated, very low budget rider but unable to drive due to disability.

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_115339078~2.jpg
    PXL_20230130_115339078~2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230130_165209.gif
    20230130_165209.gif
    2 MB · Views: 6

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’ve brought a shifter back to life in the past by giving it a liberal spraying with WD 40 or similar. Worth a try.
Otherwise it’s a case of buying a replacement. Shame as I’ve got a new old stock triple LH Shimano shifter you could have but the postage would kill it,
perhaps put an ad in the Wanted section. I’m sure someone on here will have one kicking around.

:welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Respect for having an attempt at fixing it but the innards of a shifter are a dark art as I've discovered myself over the years. You're much better off trying Cycleops tried and tested solution with WD40 or GT85. It's the equivalent on a PC of switching it off then switching it on again - it often works. Some kind CC member might have an old, working LH triple shifter in their 'bits' box. If the suggested fix doesn't work try putting a 'Wanted' post on the site and see what response you get. Good luck.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If the tooth has broken off or worn down so it doesn't engage then it is a replace scenario. I have had this happen a couple of times on SRAM and Shimano shifters over the years. They are consumable and will eventually wear out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At least its not DI2.... crash those and you'll be crying.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nah, Ctrl alt del sorts out DI2 crashes

I remember when I built up my race bike 30 years ago, with Dura Ace, considering the cost of 'upgrading' a year or two later to STI (built with down tube shifters), and the cost was pretty eye watering. Although I could afford it (single, living with parents = loaded), the though of trashing £200-£250 shifters (way back when price) was scary !

Top Bottom