Is my stem to big

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I fitted a 130mm stem...it feels right to me and I am proper stretched out..the front hub is out of sight when I am on th edrops but I can see it when I am on the hoods...previously on the 120mm stem I could not see the hub in either position..does this matter??????:ohmy:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is it comfortable ? If so why the concern ?

ChrisKH

Guru
It's a starting point. If you're comfortable with the position then it's not a problem. I have problems being too stretched out with my current stem and suffer over 50 miles +.

BigonaBianchi said:
I fitted a 130mm stem...it feels right to me and I am proper stretched out..the front hub is out of sight when I am on th edrops but I can see it when I am on the hoods...previously on the 120mm stem I could not see the hub in either position..does this matter??????:smile:

when I got fitted this was one area I choose to discard. For me its all about what feels right over long and short distances. I can see me hub and all is good !

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
This front hub visibility thing is a load of old cobblers in determining whether one's bars are at the right distance from the saddle.

There are too many variables that influence the relative positions of saddle, bars and front hub and the viewing angle of the hub:

Neck length
Femur length
Most efficient/comfortable fore-aft position of saddle
Arm length
Head tube angle
Fork rake
Flexibility of back
Limb/torso/neck ratios

As an example, my position is very similar to Jean-Francois Bernard's - i.e. very stretched out but very stable and comfortable and ideal for both climbing and descending. Although my frame size and stem length are in perfect proportion, my limb/neck/torso ratios mean the bars therefore appear several centimetres in front of the hub, and using a straight edge on this photo you can see that so are J-F B's. Some riders use a far more upright position - it's all dependent on the factors listed above, so there's no point relying on the hidden-hub 'rule'.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
well I'm back on the 120mm...the back pain was to much over 35 miles..and th ehip pain as well. So Im back where I started except that i now own a brand new 130mm stem doing nothing

redjedi

Über Member
D'oh

I was just about to PM you to see if you wanted a 130mm Bianchi branded stem which was far too long for me, guess not :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Your arms should be shoulder width and with a small bend in your elbow when on the hoods. Thats what I'd concentrate on rather than being able to see the hub.

Whats feels right probly is right. My road bike stem allows the small bend, my fixed has me riding with near straight arms and leaning forward. I can say form my experience, the later is less confortable for extended riding. However its like this for a reason so I wont be changing it.

Top Bottom