Is my tyre kaput?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I do suffer. I won't mix makes on my bike or indeed 'models', or even odd wheels. As you know with MTB's, folk mix makes quite often. TBH I went with Maxxis Minion's for my MTB, but in front and rear specific tread - that I can live with.

We all have our little 'oddities'.
Now I hate matching wheels. I have a 28 spoke radial on the front with a DT Swiss rim and the rear is a 3X 32 spoke Alex rim.

Makes the bike look "Balanced" IMO.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now I hate matching wheels. I have a 28 spoke radial on the front with a DT Swiss rim and the rear is a 3X 32 spoke Alex rim.

Makes the bike look "Balanced" IMO.

Argh... DT Swiss, then an Alex.... shudders.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. As you know with MTB's, folk mix makes quite often. .

You're really talking about hardcore MTB'ers who take it really seriously and are trying to achieve certain handling characteristics on particular types of terrain.
Whereas I'm just a bloke who buggers about on old 26" stuff riding on generally fairly tame dirt & gravel tracks. I'm not bothered about speed or getting every last bit of traction.
When I was a kid I used to take my old steel BSA racer off road before mountain bikes appeared on the scene.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You're really talking about hardcore MTB'ers who take it really seriously and are trying to achieve certain handling characteristics on particular types of terrain.
Whereas I'm just a bloke who buggers about on old 26" stuff riding on generally fairly tame dirt & gravel tracks. I'm not bothered about speed or getting every last bit of traction.
When I was a kid I used to take my old steel BSA racer off road before mountain bikes appeared on the scene.

Yeh I know, but even at my level, I can't mix tyres - road bikes or MTB - get's my OCD. I don't like it on my car.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I tend not to mix sizes on the road (though I have and it doesn't make much difference), but 4 of my bikes currently have different tyres front and back. 2 of them have tyres from different manufacturers on them.

The Ultrasports linked to above are an underrated tyre IMHO. I got some on my road bike and they seemed absolutely fine. Rolled well, didn't seem to be puncture magnets, gripped ok. The only reason they aren't still on the bike is I wanted something wider. Another good tyre is the Vittoria Rubino Pro, which was about £20 in Halfords last time I was in.

Last edited:
Na, it is fine. That outer layer of cord has nothing to do with restricting inflation forces and is added on for non-structural effects. The real structural cords run criss-cross from left to right, inside the rubber. They are visible from the inside only. Those do all the work. Keep on riding. You'll know when the cords-that-matter are damaged because the tyre will bulge or zigg-zagg in-plane. The latter will remind you of a boxer's broken nose.
Go for a ride, drink a beer. In that order.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If that tyre is at normal riding pressure I'd say it's fine, I'd want it on the back wheel just in case though.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
So apparently the back wheel has the exact same thing too.

Ive found an old set of spesh espoirs in the shed that came with the bike. They have a bit of life left in them. Guess its a new set of something else when it reaches payday.

Thanks for all the help, and to @Yellow Saddle and @raleighnut, I just wish I had the balls to risk it haha.

Top Bottom