Is my tyre screwed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
So quite a few of you will know I had a puncture earlier this week. I've been too busy to get back on the bike but did manage to replace the tube, though made the error of not checking to see what caused it.

I've just had a look and seen a large gash / split on the tyre. Not quite sure what's happened
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338769517.154105.jpg
, whether something split it or if it's some kind of failure but my question is - does the tyre need replacing? Am I likely to get another puncture ASAP?

musa

Über Member
Should be fine is it deep that you see the tube?

musa

Über Member
Oooh what you running with? You can repair from the underside of ît. Get a rubber tube cut a piece and affix it there with glue

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Oooh what you running with? You can repair from the underside of ît. Get a rubber tube cut a piece and affix it there with glue

Nice one gonna give that a go! Just the stock tyres from Decathlon so I should get a better pair anyway.

Dan_h

With tyres I usually work on the basis of "if in doubt, replace it". Tyres are reasonably important as they are the only thing keeping you in contact with the road and you can get a decent pair fairly cheaply if you shop around.

Dan_h

Yeah upgrade them. As long as there not kendas Lool

Agreed, I have a pair of almost unused 25mm Kendas in my garage, one wet ride and they came straight off and were replaced with a pair of Bontrager Hard Case tyres. The Kendas had a distinct lack of grip and 2 seperate punctures in under 20 miles!

Its hard to tell from the picture but if the tyre is fairly new, the rest of its in good condition I'd stick it on the rear and run it and only replace if I'm p'turing more than normal but if its getting towards the end of its life and you can afford it just upgrade to save any niggles in the back of your mind.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Can you get a bit of old tyre from anywhere and make a boot?

Perhaps. It's annoying as I've only had the bike since late April! I don't mind paying 20-30 quid for a new pair if tyres if I need them, but I'm going to show my LBS and Evans this tomorrow and ask their opinion.

Do people tend to change both tyres when they change or just an offending one?

musa

Über Member
You can change just the one. If you got a good deal on a pair then might as well Unless there kendas then both.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If changing one I allways put the new one on the front .Blowout on the front is much scarier than one on the back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I inspect my tyres regularly and throw away any with deep gashes down to the threads, I simply will not risk my life for a few pounds.

Michelin Pro 3s for me every time; great tyres.

Top Bottom