Is Paul Kimmage calling out Froome and Sky here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
She's still an idiot in my book but it does seem to have forced Sky's hand a little - http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Sky-joue-la-transparence/386574

DB agrees to disclose data of 18 Froome climbs since the Vuelta 2011 to Fred Grappe, considered an expert in such matters, and FG's initial conclusion is that his power data over the last 2 years is consistent with Froome's profile, and he goes on to say that the exceptional power he can harness over a 5 minute period gives him a certain advantage over other riders.

The full analysis is available on the subscriber online version of L'Équipe apparently.

As raised before, this is political in some ways

How much of this was simply a way of forcing the data out into the open against Brailsford's wishes?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As raised before, this is political in some ways

How much of this was simply a way of forcing the data out into the open against Brailsford's wishes?
Ah, but it's not in the open, as far as I understand it. It's in the hands of Fred Grappe, who just happens to play an important role in FDJ...

She's still an idiot in my book but it does seem to have forced Sky's hand a little - http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Sky-joue-la-transparence/386574

DB agrees to disclose data of 18 Froome climbs since the Vuelta 2011 to Fred Grappe, considered an expert in such matters, and FG's initial conclusion is that his power data over the last 2 years is consistent with Froome's profile, and he goes on to say that the exceptional power he can harness over a 5 minute period gives him a certain advantage over other riders.

The full analysis is available on the subscriber online version of L'Équipe apparently.

I need to find a link to that paywall article now. Science of Sport chaps have produced another good article

http://www.sportsscientists.com/

I never had too many doubts about Sky or Froome but what were there are fading. Of course I've been around long enough to never be off my guard but....

thom

____
a) I thought Froome was marginaly slower than LA's drugged fueled record, but whether its marginally faster or marginally slower matters not, just becasue froomes time is similar to that of a master doper does not make froome a doper.
b) they had a favourable tailwind for much of Sundays climb
c) Froome spent the first half of the climb tucked in behind Porte being paced up.
d) Froome is built like a proper natural climber, LA was naturally a rubbish climber - look at his pre cancer / drugs TdF record and climbing ability and look at his build - that is not the physique of a natural climber. If they were on a level playing field Froome would be miles ahead of LA's time. Teh fact that LA was pumped full of EPO meant his time is similar.
e) training today, particualry in sky, is far maore scientific than the 90's /2000's when get some miles in your legs and then race was pretty much the order of the day.
f) The road has been resurfaced as well I believe - less rolling resistance now.
g) all the techy bike improvements
the list could go on I imagine

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm slightly surprised that Sky haven't measured Froome's VO2Max. I don't suppose it would tell them anything they don't already know by other means, but it would be interesting. I'm guessing it would be very high - maybe even higher than Indurain/Lemond.

I'm slightly surprised that Sky haven't measured Froome's VO2Max. I don't suppose it would tell them anything they don't already know by other means, but it would be interesting. I'm guessing it would be very high - maybe even higher than Indurain/Lemond.
It's odd isn't it. I found that odd. Of course the data doesn't prove anything definitively and the other oddity is no data before 2011. I know :smile: I'm just spinning it from both sides.

VamP

Banned

Probably because VO2max is only an indirect correlator for performance, and of no use in the structuring of training programmes.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Indeed. Aiui, it's main use is as an indicator of potential performance level, right? ie "This dude has a huge VO2max so it's worth investing time and effort in training him up." But I guess Sky have more sophisticated ways of measuring a rider's potential.

Of course, EBH reportedly has a very high VO2max but has so far not really lived up to his early promise.

Top Bottom