Is pedal strike a reality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Go around corners slower :smile:

It's a potential issue, but once you know about it, unlikely to happen in reality. The trick is to move your arse off the saddle Barry Sheene style, and keep the bike itself more upright. I've never had pedal strike on my fixie, and only once, when I was maybe 9 years old*, on a freewheeling bike.

EDIT: * I was 9 years old rather a long time ago

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Oh it's definitely real. This was the result of my last fixed ride in July, from striking a pedal.

image2.jpg

Happened because I was thinking more about getting over out of the way of an oncoming car than how leaned over I was :blush:

3 months off the bike and a permanent pin in my arm, I've stuck with the freewheel since.

AndyRM

XOXO
Oh it's definitely real. This was the result of my last fixed ride in July, from striking a pedal.

image2.jpg

Happened because I was thinking more about getting over out of the way of an oncoming car than how leaned over I was :blush:

3 months off the bike and a permanent pin in my arm, I've stuck with the freewheel since.

Oooooffffft!!!!

Good effort :bravo:

I have had the odd pedal strike, a couple of times on fixed and once that I can remember on gears. Never come off because of it, just a bit of a hop and skip on the bend.

Same here, scraped pedals (on geared bike) when exiting a roundabout, on a falling gradient, so not a lot of lost speed, just a slight 'bump', as they contacted
(South Leeds - Belle Isle Road, heading down towards Hunslet Carr)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
fixed gear bikes should be run with 165mm cranks, which helps avoid it.
I swapped from 165 to 170 many years ago. There's no rule for the road. Choosing a frame with a fairly high bottom bracket helps. Knowing your bike helps. Smaller/shallower pedals help.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have done it once on the fixed, my fault as I took the corner too fast and too much of a tight angle, just managed to stay on....

Never done it and I have 175 cranks. If anyone is concerned, stand next to your bike and lean it over with the pedal at the lowest point, I would suggest that even with long cranks and providing you have a high bb the tyres will lose grip before the pedal strikes the ground [on a flat surface].

Top Bottom