Is the Ecosmo 20" Lightweight 7-Speed Folder (12kg) worth buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike160304

In my previous thread we talked about the Apollo Tuck and the Carrera Intercity Disc 8 and Disc 9, t does anyone have any experience, good or bad, of the Ecosmo 20" Lightweight 7-Speed Folder?
Being one of many Chinese brand names all using the same mass-produced aluminium frame, the Ecosmo is selling new for around £300 at the moment, but as soon as you have bought one, you would be lucky to re-sell it for about £50-£75, it is a high depreciation item.
So, an as-new one can be a cheap buy, but what do you all think of it?
Link:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecosmo-Lightweight-Alloy-Folding-Bicycle/dp/B00X7L8IAI/ref=asc_df_B00X7L8IAI/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310485825261&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10451540743979021427&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045563&hvtargid=pla-568312100812&psc=1

Drago

Legendary Member
The frame looks identical to the standard non-disc intercity, albeit with different forks and finishing kit...

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/fold...kipQ3-ci2uGEORu_lbKzfldRxz8uYYaxoCe68QAvD_BwE

This means it is liable to ride fairly well, albeit not as lively and good to ride as the disc models which have different frames, wheels, drivetrains, etc. The Intercity is supposed to be good to ride for a folder, and the disc models simply good to ride full stop.

If you go for it I'd suggest spending the extra fiver and buying the Intercity from Halfords rather than the Orgasmo from amazon - if it breaks you have a physical shop to take it to for warranty work. Of course, that means black paint which you have indicated you're not fond of, but I'd take that over the potential grief of arranging long distance warranty repairs any day.

Also the Intercity has a higher spec drivetrain and an extra gear, so for a mere fiver more it seems a no-btainer to me.

Let us know how you get on. Folders are very popular on the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike160304

The frame looks identical to the standard non-disc intercity, albeit with different forks and finishing kit...
Aahhhhh!!! . . . I had noticed the similarity, but, believe it or not, I had not noticed that the frame is THE SAME FRAME!!!!

This means it is liable to ride fairly well, albeit not as lively and good to ride as the disc models which have different frames, wheels, drivetrains, etc. The Intercity is supposed to be good to ride for a folder, and the disc models simply good to ride full stop.
So a cautious "might be OK", which is what I feel too - like if I wanted a short term cheapo, a used Ecosmo might serve. But I much prefer the Intercity Disc 8 & 9 for a longer relationship.
If you go for it I'd suggest spending the extra fiver and buying the Intercity from Halfords rather than the Orgasmo from amazon - if it breaks you have a physical shop to take it to for warranty work. Of course, that means black paint which you have indicated you're not fond of, but I'd take that over the potential grief of arranging long distance warranty repairs any day.
Excellent points.
Also the Intercity has a higher spec drivetrain and an extra gear, so for a mere fiver more it seems a no-btainer to me.
Yes. And I like the red and blue colours of the Disc versions, (and the white version of the Ecosmo, not the black one.
Let us know how you get on. Folders are very popular on the forum.
Thanks. I have learnt more on this Forum from my 12 hours here than I had learnt in the previous fortnight or so.
Current status:
Halfords have the red Disc 8 new for £350 till Wednesday, as a special price. The blue Disc 9 is still £460 new but they have a Grade A refurb one with full warranties for £272, I have to find out how much getting it from its current location would cost. Exciting, isn't it?
And I shall not buy anything black. :smile:
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I noticed that one of the reviews said it was a bargain at the £200 they had paid for it...

Thanks, yes, I think that the Ecosmo 20" Lightweight is one of the better efforts with that generic frame. But I think that the semi-unknown Ecosmo name means faster depreciation than on any of the Carrera products.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good grief - useful consumer advice from the old farts at CycleChat!

What have we become?!

Top Bottom