Halfords Apollo Tuck 20" 6-Speed vs Ecosmo 20" Lightweight 7-Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike160304

Hi, I am new here! I am old, 5' 9" tall and my lovely old, tall 1980 Coventry Eagle hybrid (pic) had to go 5 years ago, haven't ridden since.

Can't be happy without a 2-wheeler so I am looking for a TOY FOLDER to go long distances up to about 1 mile, on dry roads, at slow speeds.

Around £250 to £300 new should be adequate, could be around £50 for a nearly new one on Ebay or wherever.

Low step-thru is essential, is 19" on Tuck, have not yet measured it on Ecosmo, can anyone measure that for me please?

And, any comments on these 2 bikes, please?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 46516505_2162748054042963_7315961298171199488_n (1).jpg
    46516505_2162748054042963_7315961298171199488_n (1).jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Here are photos of the 2 bikes I am considering.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 717FWlo8TgL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    717FWlo8TgL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC.

A link to the bikes you refer to would save us a lot of googling.
All I can tell you right now is that Apollo is Halfords bargain basement range of bikes and the ones I've had through my hands have been very disappointing quality wise. If you buy the Tuck you might be uttering a profanity which rhymes with it rather too often.
As you say you'd get a better deal through Gumtree eBay etc where folders can be bought cheap as buyers seem to hardly use them.
Some can be rather hefty, don't know if this might be a problem.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
If you can stretch your budget you get the Carrera intercity disc 8, which is a proper riding little tool. That's about as cheap as you want to go of your want something that rides, handles, stops and folds well and which has moderately dedent fit and finish.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Hello and :welcome: to CC.

A link to the bikes you refer to would save us a lot of googling.
I have done a lorra googling and I know how the techspecs of the 2 bikes compare, but I was hoping that someone might have experienced both bikes.
All I can tell you right now is that Apollo is Halfords bargain basement range of bikes and the ones I've had through my hands have been very disappointing quality wise. If you buy the Tuck you might be uttering a profanity which rhymes with it rather too often.
OK, thanks.

As you say you'd get a better deal through Gumtree eBay etc where folders can be bought cheap as buyers seem to hardly use them.
Yes, not thinking of buying a new one. I reckon that if I bought say a new Ecosmo for £300 and decided to sell it the same day, I would be lucky to get £50 for it. The dozens of Chinese brands have little secondhand value.
Some can be rather hefty, don't know if this might be a problem.
Yeah, big problem, I hate weight, and a main reason why I looked at Tuck and Ecosmo is their reasonable weight, 14.2kg and 11.5kg respectively.
Thanks Cycleops, that is all very helpful.
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Maybe try Decathlon, they have some folding bikes that might be a bit better than the Apollo?
Thanks, yes, I'll do that.
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

If you can stretch your budget you get the Carrera intercity disc 8, which is a proper riding little tool. That's about as cheap as you want to go of your want something that rides, handles, stops and folds well and which has moderately dedent fit and finish.

Wow, Jameshow anjd Drago, the Carrera Intercity Disc 8: I like that spec! - disc brakes, 8-speed, 13kg . . . and better fit . . . that looks great. Carrera Intercity Disc 8 is now looking like my best choice so far! Thank you!
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I have the disc 9, essentially thr same but with a better spec. They're an absolute blast to ride.

LOL, we are talking ourselves up-spec again. Sounds great though, thanks. Now I need that guy who bought himself a Disc 9, rode it for a week, didn't like the air conditioning and is selling it.
And phone my Home Insurance to see whether they will cover a Disc 9 out there in the jungle for no extra premium. Anxiety about thieves spoils the fun. Any thoughts about Thatcham-approved locks that are user-friendly (I hate weight and bulk)???.
Not sure about Disc 8/ Disc 9 frame colours, I hate black.

Drago

Legendary Member
Disc 8 and 9 are red and blue respectively...?

The beauty of a folder is you dont really need to leave it locked up as it comes with you. I've fitted mine with QR pedals which allows it to slip inside an IKEA storage bag and I carry it round the shops.

Top Bottom