Is the lining/sleeve inside the brake cable pipe/noodle needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MountainSide

My front v-brakes were releasing slow. As it happened braking wasn't affected but I like to flick the brake lever to make a loud click which is quite an effective alternative to a bell and the slow cable stopped this.

Anyway I could see it was the cable binding and noticed the lining between the inner cable and metal noodle curve seemed to be fowling. I pulled it out (seemed to be about 2 or 3 inches of it) and it was all cracked and split.

It all works perfectly again but anyone any experience of whether I need to replace the noodle (the metal part of the end of the cable that turns 135 degrees or so) or will it continue to work fine. Maybe leave it unless any issues develop and just lubricate? I imagine the lining is probably there for a reason. Maybe my inner and outer are now metal to metal.

The rubber boots are pretty shot anyway so might not be too bad to buy them as a set.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Metal to metal will be fine as long as the inner cable is clean and lightly lubricated with a waxy lube like chain lube. It won't do any harm to replace the plastic liner eventually though, as well as the rubber boots.

I remember XTR V brakes, I had them on my Kona Hei Hei and they were excellent. Eventually though the parallel linkages began to wear and the brake blocks became a bit loose.

OP
OP
M

MountainSide

Thanks. Hadn't even thought I could just replace the liner although might just be easier to get a complete new set with the rubber boots, as and when I need to.

OP
OP
M

MountainSide

ok Makes sense. I can see Clarks do a set cheap enough, so they should be ok. My brakes are actually Ovation (Marin own brand) and the end bit looks slightly different but I think it should fit?

EDIT: The hole seems to be 6mm. Hopefully standard?

Last edited:
ok Makes sense. I can see Clarks do a set cheap enough, so they should be ok. My brakes are actually Ovation (Marin own brand) and the end bit looks slightly different but I think it should fit?

EDIT: The hole seems to be 6mm. Hopefully standard?
Yup, all standard. However, some are smaller (shorter) than others so the cable length may differ.

tamiya

the the plastic liner inside noodle usually has a flared end abutting the cable housing side. If you simply replace liner with plain tubing (nylon, Teflon etc) without the flare it'll usually worm itself out the free end fairly quickly,

These days I'm preferring a flexy noodle compared to stock fixed curved.

Top Bottom