is the viking giro d'italia road bike any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
If you want to spend under £300 on a road bike buy second hand. End of.

Ok so that is stepping into a bit of a minefield, but I think there's no harm posting links to some ebay auctions in your area that take your fancy and getting some feedback, if you don't mind taking the risk of someone else bidding ;)

But seriously, that bike looks bizarre. Downtube shifters went out in the 80's, it's surreal to see them on a modern road bike. There's got to be some other weird compromises going on to make a bike that looks snazzy cost so little.

£200-300 will get you a bike that cost £600 2 years ago, and will likely be LIGHT YEARS better than those things which might fall apart from underneath you in six months, or have parts that no one can service.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If you want to spend under £300 on a road bike buy second hand. End of.

Ok so that is stepping into a bit of a minefield, but I think there's no harm posting links to some ebay auctions in your area that take your fancy and getting some feedback, if you don't mind taking the risk of someone else bidding ;)

But seriously, that bike looks bizarre. Downtube shifters went out in the 80's, it's surreal to see them on a modern road bike. There's got to be some other weird compromises going on to make a bike that looks snazzy cost so little.

£200-300 will get you a bike that cost £600 2 years ago, and will likely be LIGHT YEARS better than those things which might fall apart from underneath you in six months, or have parts that no one can service.

I think theres a retro thing with the downtube shifters like with some fixies. Could explain why they still pop up.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Have a serious look at The Carrera Virtuoso linked above. Excellent spec, and very light for the money. If you can afford 300 then go for it.

Have a serious look at The Carrera Virtuoso linked above. Excellent spec, and very light for the money. If you can afford 300 then go for it.

+1

Or a good secondhand...I sold mine a couple on months ago for £160 - a few scratches but nothing else - and I guarantee my 2h Virtuoso was better than a BN Viking

(It was better configured than a BN Carrera but that's a Halfords issue!)

Atyl1972

here here, went for a ride on Saturday with angelfish on his viking, i got a cube GTC race all be me being a newbie rider but it seemed a very good bike from where i was watching it, mainly from the rear :biggrin: but up close and personal the bike has very nice looks, i particularly like the frame shape and the wheels, and the shifters look pretty nifty too....

Big boy

Hi all im no expert on whats the best bike for not a lot of money but i do se...
A fair few riders who wouldnt be seen dead on a budget bike, no matter what it was.
Spending a grand or more wont make you a better cyclist either.
I am going to get a viking the orrible yellow one with shifters on the frame.
It will do for me as it has what i need on it, its lighter than my bike has taller gearing and its a new bike.
People are right by saying you may get a higher spec bike second hand, but you may turn up to buy a bike and think the seller looks a bidt dodgy.
Then spend the rest of your days wondering if you are riding a stolen bike.
You only get what you pay for really and of course if you was looking to do the tour de france i expect you would be looking to spend more money.
Money permitting i should have one of these by the end of next week, if i get one i will let you all know if its any good for my requirements.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi all im no expert on whats the best bike for not a lot of money but i do se...
A fair few riders who wouldnt be seen dead on a budget bike, no matter what it was.
Spending a grand or more wont make you a better cyclist either.
I am going to get a viking the orrible yellow one with shifters on the frame.
It will do for me as it has what i need on it, its lighter than my bike has taller gearing and its a new bike.
People are right by saying you may get a higher spec bike second hand, but you may turn up to buy a bike and think the seller looks a bidt dodgy.
Then spend the rest of your days wondering if you are riding a stolen bike.
You only get what you pay for really and of course if you was looking to do the tour de france i expect you would be looking to spend more money.
Money permitting i should have one of these by the end of next week, if i get one i will let you all know if its any good for my requirements.

If the DT shifters hack you off you can get them converted to trigger or bar end shifters for a small amount of cash :smile:
Hope you enjoy the bike :smile:

Big boy

Thats right mr angelfish at the end of the day, bikes are pretty easy to work on and the lower end bits not a lot of money.
Mind ive yet to sit on a viking, if it dont feel right i will look at something else...

Atyl1972

Top Bottom