Is their such a thing as a helmet mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Better still has anyone got experience of this and is it good to use and can it fit an ITM bar..

cat%20bm%20300g%20mirror.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_BM_300G_Race_Mirror/5360007169/

Keith Oates

Janner
I also seem to remember them being advertised but I've never actually seen one. I guess, Yenners, we are either both wrong on the memory front or they were not very popular and just dropped out of production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carwash

Señor Member
They do exist - there's a recumbent rider I pass most mornings who wears one. No idea where you'd find one to buy though.

Helmet mirrors tend to be fragile and wobbly.

I have two bikes with drops and have fitted the "no neck" Cyclestar to the bar end which works fine.... I know this is a U S Site but they explain the options. They are available from all the usual suspcts in the UK

The ultimate mirror though is the Mirrycle which again fits bar end but is bigger and does protrude.
and

PrettyboyTim

I've seen helmet mirrors in Evans. On a whim I picked up a handlebar mirror there a couple of days ago, but I kind of wish I had got the helmet one instead. Although the bar mirror isn't too bad, I didn't find its field of view very good, and it's sufficiently far out of my field of view that when I'm looking forward I'm unlikely to spot something that appears suddenly inside it. Although it is quicker than turning my whole head around to look back, it's not that much quicker.

Also, as it fits on to the end of the handlebar, it does make the bike wider.

It's this one, by the way, by Blackburn:

rhml1000ncltopre7.jpg

Although I don't have it sticking straight out like that.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
yenrod said:
Better still has anyone got experience of this and is it good to use and can it fit an ITM bar..

cat%20bm%20300g%20mirror.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_BM_300G_Race_Mirror/5360007169/

I've got that very one on my SCR3.

Its not a lot of cop TBH, I find it just better than nothing because I can't turn my head to look behind and stay in a straight line but the mirror vibrates so much on anything other than very smooth tarmac that you can't make out much in it anyway.

The other problem is that as soon as you knock it, which you will, it then becomes impossible to tighten it properly again so if you're hammering down a really fast hill, it slowly rotates inwards.

I wouldn't buy one again.

Sorry, I've no idea what an ITM bar is but it fits the bar ends on mine.

Blue

Legendary Member
PrettyboyTim said:
I've seen helmet mirrors in Evans. On a whim I picked up a handlebar mirror there a couple of days ago, but I kind of wish I had got the helmet one instead. Although the bar mirror isn't too bad, I didn't find its field of view very good, and it's sufficiently far out of my field of view that when I'm looking forward I'm unlikely to spot something that appears suddenly inside it. Although it is quicker than turning my whole head around to look back, it's not that much quicker.

Also, as it fits on to the end of the handlebar, it does make the bike wider.

It's this one, by the way, by Blackburn:

rhml1000ncltopre7.jpg

Although I don't have it sticking straight out like that.

I have that one.

I found that I could swivel the thing round so that the mirror dropped away from the drops, if you can follow that, and that improved both usability and appearance. The only problem is that it is easy to knock the unit with a knee when dismounting etc so always check when starting off.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
yenrod said:
Better still has anyone got experience of this and is it good to use and can it fit an ITM bar.
A better option is the Mountain Mirrycle. This is adjustable enough to cope no matter what angle the ends of your bars are at. It's also not too hard to set the bolt tightness so that you can move it to one side to lean the bike against a wall, but it will still stay put when riding.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I've been using the Blackburn helmet mirror for many years. Once you get used to it, it's great. Doesn't give you GREAT rear visibility, you still have to glance back, but, for me, it's plenty good enough. They tend not to vibrate as badly as some bike-mounted mirrors do.

Top Bottom