Is there a average psi or is it just the range printed on the tire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So I bought a new pump (Track pump that has an actual gage on it). My tyres say 40-65 psi . So do you just pump anywhere in between those numbers or is the average sum to work out which PSI you should be on?

Anywhere between those numbers.

I pump to the higher (plus a bit) - easier rolling, and less liable to punctures. By the time the pressure has dropped to the lower ... time to pump up again :smile:

So I bought a new pump (Track pump that has an actual gage on it). My tyres say 40-65 psi . So do you just pump anywhere in between those numbers or is the average sum to work out which PSI you should be on?
Some bods will give you some complicated calculation between tyre width, your weight, road surface etc.

I generally would go with between the ranges but the higher the number, the less resistance but harder the ride. I prefer to have it near the top end. Bumpy but to me feels quicker.

147064011.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I tend to go for the top figure for faster rolling and to keep punctures away, maybe start there and back it down for a bit more comfort if you feel it's necessary.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My Schwalbe Pro ones say up to 95psi. On road I have them at 80psi on dirt tracks 60 psi. At 95psi it would be a rock hard ride.
You need to try different pressures and see what is good for you. I take the numbers on the tyre as a guide.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I tend to go for the top figure for faster rolling and to keep punctures away, maybe start there and back it down for a bit more comfort if you feel it's necessary.

Ok my bikes a hybrid that's why it's got range of 40-65 psi

If it rains, I've heard it's better to have a lower psi to get more grip is this true or a myth?

Tangoup51

The PSI printed on the side is nothing more than the Limits of your tire. - You should never go below 40 and you should never go higher than 65. - There are exceptions, but it's within this ball park you want to sit.

And yes, the sum to calculate your tire pressure is easy! - Input your Total weight and Tire Size into any online tire chart and you can get a solid PSI to work with.

Top Bottom