Is there a backpack that is hi viz, waterproof and airflow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
I currently use a Deuter AC lite, that is airflow (ie has a mesh to keep it away for your back).

With a Hump cover on it, is becomes Hi Viz, and waterproof, but the airflow is reduced. Plus the cover is a pain to put on and off.

I am looking for a backpack that is all three, without the need for a cover. I don't think one exists, does it?

earlestownflya

i dont know any packpack that is totally waterproof without the cover it'll always seep in on the stitching maybe wrap your valuables in a plastic bag before you put them in the backpack?

vickster

Legendary Member
£60!! WOW! you must be rich:blush:
Well I probably paid under 50 about 7 years ago. It's not really much for something well made, a hump cover is £20 probably, this has the cover built in. I can't imagine yours cost much less. You can get that one for around £45-50 if shop around

I don't use it much now, far prefer a rack and panniers especially as I've got a dodgy shoulder and regardless, I worry about the effect of a heavy rucksack in a fall

400bhp

Guru
I currently use a Deuter AC lite, that is airflow (ie has a mesh to keep it away for your back).

With a Hump cover on it, is becomes Hi Viz, and waterproof, but the airflow is reduced. Plus the cover is a pain to put on and off.

I am looking for a backpack that is all three, without the need for a cover. I don't think one exists, does it?

I have a Deuter like that which has a waterproof cover that comes with it??

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
I have a Deuter like that which has a waterproof cover that comes with it??
The cover on mine is not hi viz, and in any case is a faff and reduces airflow

mangid

Guru

I use an Ortlieb Flight, expensive, but waterproof, and external frame so good airflow, has some reflective bits on it.

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
I use an Ortlieb Flight, expensive, but waterproof, and external frame so good airflow, has some reflective bits on it.
That is the closest I have seen to what I want. I would probably just pay the money if the hi viz was right. Unfortunately, it's not - it's only on the sides, and not on the rear, and doesn't look particularly fluoro either.

Thanks, though.

Sharky

Guru
This company does lots of HiViz stuff
http://www.glow.co.uk/high-visibility.html

This might not be exactly what you looking for, but they have some more sensible options.

jcb-led-backpack-1.jpg

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have an NY Built laptop backpack that is about as waterproof as it gets. It got tested one day when I rode home in TORRENTIAL rain for 25 miles. I did clingfilm my laptop just in case but I needn't have bothered, they're was just a tiny bit of dampness inside the zip and when I say torrential, I mean flash flooding and everything!!! It didn't let up the whole way home.

It's a great rucksack but its designed to carry just a laptop, power lead and not much else, maybe a book (which is what I wanted). It's made of neoprene with really wide straps (they too are neoprene) so comfy as heaven. Once wearing it, you can't tell it's on, the weight disappears except that I've heard one too many jokes about my bullet proof vest. It's designed to go under a jacket for security purposes. I love it but I haven't seen one on the market recently.

Top Bottom